Author Topic: Are the Dynamite Comics Really That Bad?  (Read 11242 times)

Offline Old One Eye

• Raptor
  • T:REP 424
    • View Profile
Are the Dynamite Comics Really That Bad?
« on: April 04, 2017, 06:10:03 AM »
I see the Dynamite comics get a lot of flack.  Are they really that bad or is more a case of people not liking something that's not their usual taste?

Just curious. :)
"It's gotta be... THE GOAD!!"

Offline Jay Doomed

• Global Moderator
  • T:REP 2632
    • View Profile
Re: Are the Dynamite Comics Really That Bad?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 10:23:57 AM »
They just don't compare to the likes of Son of Sone and Turok Dinosaur Hunter and the art is not nearly as good either. That being sid ehh I don't mid looking through one occasionally but its just not as good.
"Whatever it is, it doesn't belong in this world."

Offline operative lm

• Raptor
  • T:REP 372
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 10:19:58 PM »
A lot of Valiant fans hold a grudge against Dynamite due to some fairly underhanded business practices/extortion tactics that happened during the Acclaim IP auction way back when; that might account for at least a small portion of the negativity you're hearing.

I thought the Dynamite run was neat for the first two arcs. Then Turok literally became Robin Hood, Sherwood Forest and all. At that point, the line's cancellation was a mercy.

Gold Key: Alliance was okay. Interested to see where Sovereigns goes.

Offline Old One Eye

• Raptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2017, 04:59:25 PM »
So, they're not so bad then?

I had no idea about the underhanded dealings that went on.  I'll have to look around and research that a bit.

The main reason I was asking is that they seem a little more attainable over here in Blighty and I'm tempted to buy some Turok comics.  Thing is, I like to try and have complete runs of the comics I collect (I have a very small collection!).  Dynamite comics seem to be a reasonable entry point into the Turok comic thang. :)

Offline operative lm

• Raptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2017, 06:10:41 PM »
Not too bad at all. If you're wanting complete runs, I'd also suggest seeing if you can get a hold of Dark Horse's line; it's only four issues. :P  And comparatively speaking, it's closer to the original premise than Dynamite's run was.

Offline Old One Eye

• Raptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2017, 07:59:00 AM »
Good idea regarding the DH comics.  I think I can stretch to four comics on pay day.  I think, after that, I might go for the Seeds of Evil tie-ins and then plump for the Dynamite series (that'll take a little longer methinks).

Thanks for the replies folks. I'm enjoying peoples' different takes on the comics. :)

Offline Mon-Ark

• Raptor
  • T:REP 420
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2017, 04:03:59 PM »
Which are by Dynamite comics? the seeds of evil ones?

Offline operative lm

• Raptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2017, 06:17:19 PM »
No, those were by Acclaim. The Dynamite run launched back in 2014 and was its own thing. See here.

Apparently, Dynamite's launching a new Turok run in August as a tie-in to The Sovereigns.

Offline operative lm

• Raptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2017, 11:52:26 AM »

Offline Komenja

• Iguana
  • T:REP 68
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2017, 05:19:05 PM »
Dynamite's Dinosaur Hunter started out decent but got worse with every new arc. I still can't believe that an official comic about Turok being Robin Hood is a thing that actually exists, who thought that was a good idea?. I haven't read Alliance beyond the first two issues or Sovereigns but the new Turok run actually looks promising, fuck yeah evil dinosaur men!

I wish they'd pick a design for Turok and stick with it. He looked great in Alliance, a modernized take on his original Gold Key/Valiant look.
"I am Turok, Son of Stone! Turok of the Kiowa-Apache! Turok, the Hunter! I won't forget these things, nor will I forget how to use my weapons: my bow... my brain... my knife! However, I'm no fool. I'll keep the gun, too."
- Turok: Dinosaur Hunter #0, 1995

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal