Author Topic: Gearbox Screwing Over EDuke32 Dev  (Read 74878 times)

Offline Smoke39

• Endtrail
  • T:REP 597
    • View Profile
Gearbox Screwing Over EDuke32 Dev
« on: June 02, 2016, 06:42:28 AM »
This is a month old already, but I only came across it recently:

http://techraptor.net/content/duke-nukem-dust-up-gearbox-vs-gobeille

Basically, Gearbox contends that a contract TerminX has with 3DRealms is invalid, because they claim 3DR no longer has the rights to Duke3D.  But rather than taking it up with 3DR, Gearbox is threatening TerminX, probably to avoid a legal battle with 3DR since they think TerminX will comply to avoid a lawsuit.  TerminX is calling their bluff, though, and is expecting to go to court.

Offline Jay Doomed

• Global Moderator
  • T:REP 2632
    • View Profile
Re: Gearbox Screwing Over EDuke32 Dev
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 10:06:09 AM »
Yeah I was following this hopefully Tx wins and all goes well. Man I wish there would be a new Duke that was kind of like the new Doom! Did you know that Eduke team released closed info about Gearboxes new Duke game? Its not really a new Duke but an "enhanced" version of Duke 3D featuring a new episode. Sounds kind of cool but they should be working with eduke not going against them :/
"Whatever it is, it doesn't belong in this world."

Offline Rok

• Global Moderator
  • T:REP 1968
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 01:21:27 PM »
I'm still in shock that 3DR lost all the rights to anything Duke Nukem. Made me upset.
Raptor Rok is metal.

Offline Duke64

• Administrator
  • T:REP 6523
  • Sixty Four
    • View Profile
    • Duke64Nukem.com
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2016, 05:03:18 PM »
This is a month old already, but I only came across it recently:

http://techraptor.net/content/duke-nukem-dust-up-gearbox-vs-gobeille

Basically, Gearbox contends that a contract TerminX has with 3DRealms is invalid, because they claim 3DR no longer has the rights to Duke3D.  But rather than taking it up with 3DR, Gearbox is threatening TerminX, probably to avoid a legal battle with 3DR since they think TerminX will comply to avoid a lawsuit.  TerminX is calling their bluff, though, and is expecting to go to court.
I kind of know some about this one TerminX is my buddy though you may already know some. They already went after 3DR for the Mass Destruction teaser from the new 3D Realms/Interceptor team they have no need to go after them in this one. They had a site called alloutofgum.com and stuff like that to promote there upcoming game, the game eventually released as Bombshell. They thought they had a lead to making it a new rpg top down Duke game. Turns out they did not (as expected imo) and Gearbox sued them and the lawyer outcome is the Duke IP is best in one companies hands. So 3D Realms has nothing to do with Duke anymore only thing left for Gearbox to prove fraud is the contract for the android Hail to the King collection. Which the eduke32 team have the contract to release that... Gearbox thinks the contract isn't correct it was signed before 3DR lost full rights to Duke by Scott Miller. So you would think that it was valid before the change but somehow Gearbox thinks its a false contract. So 3DR has nothing to do with Duke anymore. All though somehow I think if it was false 3dr is going to pay for it at worst. Duke Ip has ways of creating stuff and crap. Well Eduke32 is a bigger fish in Dukes community.

Yeah I was following this hopefully Tx wins and all goes well. Man I wish there would be a new Duke that was kind of like the new Doom! Did you know that Eduke team released closed info about Gearboxes new Duke game? Its not really a new Duke but an "enhanced" version of Duke 3D featuring a new episode. Sounds kind of cool but they should be working with eduke not going against them :/

Gearbox had some lunch with Tx before this started and even showed him some of what they were preparing for there upcoming Duke project most likely set to release sometime this year for the 20th anniversary of Duke 3D. But when they went to get him to sign an NDA he didn't sign must of been something in there that he did not like. Gearbox says well "your contract is false." Once again a crappy ride for the Duke IP. There is more then all I have said though, and i'm sure even more passed what we are allowed to know. Either way though its going to be interesting to see whatever Gearbox is doing with this new Duke 3D release though I heard somethings like dynamic lighting and other new features in the build engine. Yes I would love a new Turok and Duke made sort of like Doom and Shadow Warrior 13 :)

Dinosaur Hunter
"Its time to make tracks"
"You are tiny grasshopper"
"Suck it down"
"Boo, No soup for you"
"Arrrgghhhh"
"I live again"

Offline Smoke39

• Endtrail
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2016, 08:05:02 PM »

I saw a screenshot of a forum post where TerminX was talking about bad new one liners and stuff.  I'm worried about the future availability of the original, unadulterated version of Duke3D. :/

As for a Duke Nukem reboot, I'm honestly not too interested in the idea.  I haven't played the new Doom yet, but I wasn't very happy with SW'13.

Offline Rok

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2016, 08:45:24 PM »
Pretty much no one can just get along and make a Duke they all want there own piece of cake untill there is none left. 3D realms also sold the Shadow Warrior ip I belive to Devolver.
Raptor Rok is metal.

Offline Jay Doomed

• Global Moderator
  • T:REP 2632
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2016, 10:05:28 AM »
But its true 3D Realms sold the Shadow Warrior IP to the publisher Devolver Digital. But yeah Devolver is letting Flying Wild Hog develop it. So 3DR doesn't have Duke Nukem or Shadow Warrior anymore they have to start a blank sheet and I guess Bombshell is part of that. Pretty sad to watch history just slip away like that in a blink of an eye.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 10:05:56 AM by DoomGuy »
"Whatever it is, it doesn't belong in this world."

Offline Rok

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2016, 02:33:38 PM »

Yeah Bombshell is not very cool looking imho.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2023, 09:35:00 AM by Dinomite »
Raptor Rok is metal.

Offline Smoke39

• Endtrail
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2016, 06:16:33 PM »
Bah!  I'll play the shit out of this if the level design is actually good.

Granted, that's a pretty big "if."

Offline Duke64

• Administrator
  • T:REP 6523
  • Sixty Four
    • View Profile
    • Duke64Nukem.com
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2016, 12:39:09 AM »
Bah!  I'll play the shit out of this if the level design is actually good.

Granted, that's a pretty big "if."

Yeah the build version looking forward to that for sure everything takes years. Honestly its like a mod which is going to be hard for the world to take in and buy. But dedicated fps ppl i'm sure there going to get the build version. I wonder if that is even allowed to come out anymore I haven't heard a thing since that image you posted :s
Dinosaur Hunter
"Its time to make tracks"
"You are tiny grasshopper"
"Suck it down"
"Boo, No soup for you"
"Arrrgghhhh"
"I live again"

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal