Author Topic: 'Official' Rage Wars boss profiles?  (Read 32792 times)

Offline Gomess

• Iguana
  • T:REP 48
    • View Profile
'Official' Rage Wars boss profiles?
« on: April 20, 2018, 08:12:24 AM »
I remember being fascinated by Bastille when I first played Rage Wars as a kid; the brief bio he got on the official site was just enough to get my imagination going.

Now, lo and behold he - along with all the Rage Wars bosses - apparently had a much more extended bio all along. ...Or at least, according to the Turok Wiki and GameFAQs. Here it is, in its entirety:

Deposed Lord and General of a once mighty army, Bastille was sentenced to death when he and his honor guard attempted to assassinate the King.  His standing as a Lord revoked, Bastille was on the precipice of death when atemporal distortion in his home world pulled him through a fracture in the Netherscape and deposited him in the Lost Land. 
   Bastille found himself in a land ripe for the taking.  A world full of technological marvels and a host of "lesser" races that could be easily  controlled. 
   Bastille's shield-generating armor was worn by a great warlord whom he poisoned after winning his trust.  Although Bastille soon amassed a sizable following of warriors, he failed to attain recognition as anything more than a roving thug, commanding a host of rabble and thieves. 
   Determined to win back his honor, and be regaled as a true leader, Bastille has set his eyes on the "Light Burden."  With it, he could rule the Lost Land, and exact revenge on his former King.

My question is... where did this (and Syra etc's) come from? It's not his profile on the old official site, so the only possibility I can think of is the US manual had a LOT more content than the UK one I got. Either that, or this is a case of fanfic getting out of hand.

Any ideas?

Offline operative lm

• Raptor
  • T:REP 372
    • View Profile
Re: 'Official' Rage Wars boss profiles?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 12:39:19 PM »
Hello again! These bios are from the official strategy guide.

Offline Gomess

• Iguana
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2018, 02:31:54 PM »
Oh, I see! Ta. Did all the characters get expanded bios like this...?

(It's probably too much to ask if we know who actually wrote the guide, right? That sorta stuff just interests me.)

Offline operative lm

• Raptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2018, 02:42:53 PM »
Not at all! The guide was written by David Boyle. And yes, each character has their own little blurb, though the bosses and named characters have the most information. If you wander here and scroll to the list of appearances, each character link (minus the War Club) will take you to a Rage Wars-specific page that has the bio from the guide written as its intro (or at least it should; let me know if I missed any of them).

Offline Gomess

• Iguana
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2018, 05:53:09 PM »
Oh, anything else known about David Boyle, like if he was an Acclaim employee? I really find it curious that one-off characters in an already story-lite game would only get their full backstories told in a guidebook. I'd be curious about how much free rein he was given with that element!

Dave, if you're out there: hi

And yeah, I've skimmed the Turok Wiki and gotta give it praise for actually citing its sources, which is more than some Wikis do! Just a shame Acclaim did such a bad job of archiving their own online product... I loved that Rage Wars site back in the day.

Offline operative lm

• Raptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2018, 10:20:32 PM »
And yeah, I've skimmed the Turok Wiki and gotta give it praise for actually citing its sources, which is more than some Wikis do!

Thank you! I do my best, but there's only so much one person can do.

Best I can tell, David Boyle was one of Acclaim's main strategy guide writers. His name's attached to the guides for Shadow Man: 2econd Coming, WWF Attitude, and Vexx. Might be more, of course, but that's all I've found.

Offline Duke64

• Administrator
  • T:REP 6523
  • Sixty Four
    • View Profile
    • Duke64Nukem.com
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2018, 12:38:04 AM »
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 12:44:10 AM by Duke64 »
Dinosaur Hunter
"Its time to make tracks"
"You are tiny grasshopper"
"Suck it down"
"Boo, No soup for you"
"Arrrgghhhh"
"I live again"

Offline Gomess

• Iguana
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2018, 12:47:52 AM »
Oh, nice. I love how utterly Late 90s it looks. And heck, that was probably the highest res image of Bastille's model you could see at the time.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal