Author Topic: Turok Dinosaur Hunter Mapping Guides  (Read 35610 times)

Offline Smoke39

• Endtrail
  • T:REP 597
    • View Profile
Re: Turok Dinosaur Hunter Mapping Guides
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2017, 12:25:28 AM »
mapInfo.txt associates map file names with ID numbers.  To associate your map with an ID number, you can either give it a file name already in mapInfo.txt, or you can give your map whatever name you want -- like "Gazer.map" -- and modify mapInfo.txt to then point at "Gazer.map".

However, when you use the "Test level" button in the Level Editor tab, the editor saves a temporary copy of your map with some name like "test.map," which won't match however you've set things up above.  So you can either temporarily modify mapInfo.txt to point to "test.map" or whatever, or you can ignore the "Test map" button and just save your map with its proper file name and load the map yourself.

Was that any clearer, or am I just talking in circles?

Offline Gazer

• Raptor
  • T:REP 484
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2017, 01:25:43 AM »

Thank You much - Not Talking in Circles - I understood

EDIT: So by editing the mapInfo.txt and creating a unique mapid_101 as noted in the pdf guide and directed by Smoke39, my teleport works properly. I see that the editor recognizes the folders and files in root directory above priority when in dev mode as it does with the texture folder and this is a direct access to override the default conditions of the original Turok game.kpf. I was building test.kpf files over and over each time trying to get the teleporter to work. I must have recycled 50 of them. Thanks Smoke39 for that info.

Do you have an idea what the 'Arg 6 - 1024' on sector properties is a reference to? I'd like to publish a map soon and I'm trying to figure out the finer points.
Thank You Smoke you are Turok.

I just dumped recycle bin - 39 kpf's in there and there were others before.  ;)

Side note: these root directory folders can be dangerous toward the normal functioning of the game. If 'Set Developer "0"' will they be ignored? I think that's correct.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 01:32:23 AM by Gazer »
No Ciggi

Offline Smoke39

• Endtrail
  • T:REP 597
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2017, 01:56:49 AM »
Do you have an idea what the 'Arg 6 - 1024' on sector properties is a reference to?

If it's not mentioned in the manual or under GetAreaArg/ChangeAreaArg here, then I don't know anything about it.

Having said that, I did a quick search in the manual and found arg 6 mentioned in the lava section as the amount of time between damage.

these root directory folders can be dangerous toward the normal functioning of the game. If 'Set Developer "0"' will they be ignored? I think that's correct.

Yeah.  When dev mode is 0, only game.kpf, and any kpf files in the mods folder will be loaded.  No unpackaged files will be loaded.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 01:57:25 AM by Smoke39 »

Offline Gazer

• Raptor
  • T:REP 484
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2017, 09:42:08 PM »
Hey Smoke, or Duke or anyone else, I want to learn about the 'level keys', how to make them work. Any suggestions where to begin?

well I guess the level keys work pretty straight forward. forgetaboutit ... joeybagadonuts
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 04:30:40 AM by Gazer »
No Ciggi

Offline Duke64

• Administrator
  • T:REP 6523
  • Sixty Four
    • View Profile
    • Duke64Nukem.com
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2018, 05:41:52 PM »
I made an example map/mod to show how I set up using 3 keys to open/activate a portal that goes to the credits. This guide is old from when I helped Black Jaguar out in the map MazeRok but I just updated it and I never posted it here. I'll update the post with each step but for now its simply a map/mod .zip file that you download and have a look at to understand some.

https://turoksanctum.com/keys-exit-portal/

« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 05:42:19 PM by Duke64 »
Dinosaur Hunter
"Its time to make tracks"
"You are tiny grasshopper"
"Suck it down"
"Boo, No soup for you"
"Arrrgghhhh"
"I live again"

Offline Jay Doomed

• Global Moderator
  • T:REP 2632
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2018, 01:04:15 PM »
I made an example map/mod to show how I set up using 3 keys to open/activate a portal that goes to the credits. This guide is old from when I helped Black Jaguar out in the map MazeRok but I just updated it and I never posted it here. I'll update the post with each step but for now its simply a map/mod .zip file that you download and have a look at to understand some.

I used this also for Demon Village. Thanks for the help before its a bit more confusing than one would think.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 01:04:52 PM by Jay Doomed »
"Whatever it is, it doesn't belong in this world."

Offline BehemothProgrammer

• Endtrail
  • T:REP 791
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2018, 02:39:31 PM »
Wanted to add this because no one realizes they should be doing this to make Turok stick to the ground properly while going down slopes is click on the Turok player actor and on the actor's properties General-->Dead Height set that to 30.719999. (The same value as the main game)
Turok 2 Co-Op Mod

QTurok | Turok: Mountain of the Sun | WolfenTurok 3D | and more...

Offline Deathsphere

• Raptor
  • T:REP 297
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2018, 11:06:20 AM »

Cool I might try to make a Turok level someday. Think I will stick to Doom maps for now though, but I will use this if I do. Hey where have you been>?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 12:01:43 PM by Deathsphere »

Offline Duke64

• Administrator
  • T:REP 6523
  • Sixty Four
    • View Profile
    • Duke64Nukem.com
« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2018, 05:37:14 PM »
Cool I might try to make a Turok level someday. Think I will stick to Doom maps for now though, but I will use this if I do. Hey where have you been>?

You should make a level though that would be nice.
:raptoid:

Wanted to add this because no one realizes they should be doing this to make Turok stick to the ground properly while going down slopes is click on the Turok player actor and on the actor's properties General-->Dead Height set that to 30.719999. (The same value as the main game)

I'll also implement that note somewhere in the guides with your name near it, I'm going to be adding some more things here sooner or later.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 05:38:17 PM by Duke64 »
Dinosaur Hunter
"Its time to make tracks"
"You are tiny grasshopper"
"Suck it down"
"Boo, No soup for you"
"Arrrgghhhh"
"I live again"

Offline ひまわりくん

• Raptor
  • T:REP 304
  • Gone but not dead
    • View Profile
    • Redbubble
« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2018, 10:23:17 PM »
I wanna share some tips regarding the level editor, which I found and used myself to create my level.

Moving Objects, the Easy Way

Let's say you're working on your map, but there's an Actor/Mesh you want to copy/move all the way to the other side of your map and you don't want to drag it all the way there.

"Yes, this guy will do it"

"Copy that"

Well all you have to do is select the actor/mesh you want to move and then find an actor/mesh close to where you want to move it and select it, so you should now have two actors/meshes selected.

Now take a look at the coordinates of both actors selected, the Editor always remembers your last selection, so it doesn't matter if one actor is at 0,0,0 and the other is at 2000,1050,-350, the Editor will prioritize the last object selected in the transform bar, now go ahead and put your cursor as if you were to manually edit the coordinates and press Enter once for each axis.

And just like that, the priest is now close to where I want him to be, and it doesn't matter if you want to move one or 100 actors/meshes, this little trick will always work.

Creating Pixel Perfect Ceilings

So you're working on your map when this temple comes in and slaps your face demanding pixel perfect ceilings.

What do you do?
Well you make that temple your bitch.

First you start by laying down your vertex points on the floor as you normally would.

Next, with ray trace turned on, lay 6 (or more) vertex points around the edges of where the ceiling would start.

After you've laid down all these "ceiling" vertex points, select all of them.

Once you've selected all of the above, select one vertex point at ground level (FIG. 1), move to the transform bar, then under the Z axis, double click on the number there and press Enter (FIG. 2).

"FIG. 1"

"FIG. 2"

And bingo! Now your vertex points are at ground level, but we're not done here, let's make sectors AROUND the building.

Now that our regular sectors are around the building, it's time to make sectors with ceilings.

This is how it should look like when you're done, pixel perfect ceilings, now Turok won't be able to clip through the mesh!

Hopefully this will make someone's life a bit easier whenever they are ready to make a new map.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal