Author Topic: BlockBuster and Hastings  (Read 6767 times)

Offline Demon Turok

• Raptor
  • T:REP 353
    • View Profile
BlockBuster and Hastings
« on: August 17, 2017, 03:03:01 AM »
I remember back in the day when  Blockbuster and Hastings were good places to go to went movies and games for a cheap price not like today with RedBox  screws you over,  Reason why renting a game  from Redbox is pricey 7.99 for one day,   Hastings and blockbuster they let you rent a game for a week for 7 bucks  Now think about today consoles  Xbox one and ps4,  they have to install  and it takes agood couple of hours to install  some of them take a half of a day. 

I think Redbox needs to change price of renting games say for one day 99 cents or something  cause that is just highway robbery.

What do you think of this?

Offline Duke64

• Administrator
  • T:REP 6523
  • Sixty Four
    • View Profile
    • Duke64Nukem.com
Re: BlockBuster and Hastings
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 09:24:38 PM »
I will agree and just because it was cool going to Blockbuster to get the other games you didn't have, with aisles of N64 games it was just cool being there and choosing lol. Swiping a screen for a ps4 and xbox one games isn't the same.
Dinosaur Hunter
"Its time to make tracks"
"You are tiny grasshopper"
"Suck it down"
"Boo, No soup for you"
"Arrrgghhhh"
"I live again"

Offline AbyssalDragon86

• Endtrail
  • T:REP 926
  • Lord of The Abyss
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 12:48:41 AM »
If that's the case, then hiring games like DOOM wouldn't be the best thing to do... Especially when the file size is massive.

I'm not sure if we had Hastings down here in Australia (apart from it being a place name) but we did have Blockbuster.

I remember my brother use to hire a few games a week, so they were definitely cheaper back then. It's pointless these days and I see why they eventually went defunct.

Offline Marscaleb

• Iguana
  • T:REP 35
    • View Profile
    • My game dev
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2018, 01:27:07 AM »
I never saw a Hastings until I moved to Utah.  And in fact, that Hastings is still there.  Well sort of, they closed down and then re-opened the store under a new name.  It's now "Entertainmart" but they do the exact same business as Hastings.  Might be different owners or something; I wouldn't know.

But honestly, I haven't rented a video game since the days of the Nintendo 64.  (Or then again I might have rented something once on the Gamecube, but I don't really recall.)  The reason being that I prefer to own games, not just rent them.  And ever since I had a job, I've had the money to buy them.  Renting games was only I thing I did when I was a kid, when it was my parents' dollar.

It's not about rental prices or store locations, but if I like the game I want to own it, not just play it for one week.  And I hate to rent something, decide I like it, and then buy it.  That means I spent more money than if I just bought it to begin with!

I think the model Hastings/Entertainmart use was that you can rent something and if you want to buy it the rental money can go toward your purchase.  That's pretty brilliant and I would have made more use of that were it not that for the past few years I've either been broke AF or I've been too busy working on games to be able to play any.  I would have rented a lot more games if the stores near me did that back in the Gamecube days.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 01:31:38 AM by Marscaleb »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal