Author Topic: Turok 2 Seeds of Evil WIP Projects  (Read 58764 times)

Offline Sneakze

• Iguana
  • T:REP 119
    • View Profile
Re: Turok 2 Seeds of Evil WIP Projects
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2017, 10:55:08 AM »
Oh My... This looks amazing. Will try later with a few peeps!

Offline Duke64

• Administrator
  • T:REP 6523
  • Sixty Four
    • View Profile
    • Duke64Nukem.com
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2017, 10:04:30 PM »
That looks awesome. And damn I wish I could map that quickly haha. I've finally taken up mapping myself after I had a goofy idea for a dodgeball map where the floor is deadly and you have to navigate by jumping across chairs. Stephen made a quick mock-up and started expanding it, and I promptly got a flood of ideas for how to expand it further, so I just learned to map myself and started adding on (with Stephen still contributing some stuff, namely the plasma rifle area, jerry generator, nuke elevator and the cerebal bore obstacles). It's a slow process and I get stuck a lot, but Duke's guides have been super handy at least

But yea basically the twist is everything is made out of a chair prop, you can't touch the floor, and nearly all movement is gonna be just from jumping. And also there's killer Jerry's roaming about of course:

(it's a chair made out of chairs)
(the bottom right took me FOREVER because i SUCK)

still need to fill in the two blank areas which is gonna take awhile. Assuming of course the editor doesn't throw me anymore curve balls, like the fact it crashes on save if I try to delete the floor sectors in the center of the map lol. Can try the latest WIP on our latest dodgeball mod build here https://www.dropbox.com/s/wgb5662udz4yoqq/dodgeball.kpf?dl=0

Nice! Chairs made out of chairs haheh looks pretty fun and crazy. It does not matter how fast a map is made though I only go fast mostly because I'm short on time with a son, job, wife, and all this life stuff arghh. So I have to pretty much get what I get done. I even leave the editor going sometimes because i'm off and on. Doesn't look like you suck to me lol and that looks like a good map to work on even for practice looks like it uses a few properties and tasks, keep it up.

Had to put my comment back from the original post with the Doom map being moved.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 10:05:48 PM by Duke64 »
Dinosaur Hunter
"Its time to make tracks"
"You are tiny grasshopper"
"Suck it down"
"Boo, No soup for you"
"Arrrgghhhh"
"I live again"

Offline Rok

• Global Moderator
  • T:REP 1968
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2017, 11:18:34 PM »
Postal its better the what I can do. I have to admit im not a mapper. But i will have one map at very least
Raptor Rok is metal.

Offline postal

• Iguana
  • T:REP 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2017, 04:27:28 AM »
Thanks, glad you guys like it. And yea it's really good for practice, I've learned a ton about the editor just from making this goofy mess.

Anyways, after awhile of having no idea what to do with the rest of the map, inspiration finally hit me and I filled in all the remaining areas:

its a chairy tree forest (74 chairs per tree)

if you can reach this area without dying it'll take you to a sniper nest atop the mega chair
added real jumppad shortcuts throughout the map to quickly send you to each of the main areas

next up is redoing the plasma rifle area now that I've got a way to do a moving light, and then just loads of various tweaks based on testing and feedback and also for adding more details. Also, I've made two versions of the map. The map was kinda huge and at this point is really meant for 7+ players. So I made a smaller version where the giant-pillars-to-rainbow area is walled off leaving you just in the other 2/3 of the map. It works well for smaller games. There's a fairly buggy version of both on the current version of dodgeball but we should have the more fixed up one ready tomorrow. I'll update the post when it's up.

EDIT: download is here https://www.dropbox.com/s/wgb5662udz4yoqq/dodgeball.kpf?dl=0
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 02:57:29 PM by postal »

Offline Jay Doomed

• Global Moderator
  • T:REP 2632
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2017, 10:30:29 AM »

I like the colors mate looks nice. Chairy tree ha! I see what you did there.
"Whatever it is, it doesn't belong in this world."

Offline postal

• Iguana
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2017, 05:34:17 AM »
Probably the last WIP update for Musical Chairs: Did some detailing and took a stab at making some goofy chair-torches for the pillar-maze area. They look alright from a distance at least lol, but I'm gonna keep tweaking them.

Also started messing more with the lighting, darkening areas and removing stray lights that were hitting walls, but mostly using the wonderful ambient lighting option for the first time. I gave the rainbow road path and the chairy trees more of a glow (and also make the trap chairs more red) along with using a couple different green lights to get some slight color variation on the trees

-->

Then I finally redid the plasma rifle area, the last leftover from before I started work on the map. I ditched the moving light idea and instead it's now a semi-maze you navigate by walking towards the tiny floating green chairs.

You can see it in action at the start of this video, which is a full walkthrough of the current version of the map

And with that last area completed the map's chair count is now at over 2,000 lol. After this it's just seeing if I can't add some more details to the map, and any tweaking I come up with after playtesting. Other than that tho it's all filled in now.  Kewl.

Offline Duke64

• Administrator
  • Sixty Four
    • View Profile
    • Duke64Nukem.com
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2017, 12:05:50 AM »

That's a lot of thought into that map I see Postal, good job with this one funny chairy tree. Looks like you got the hang of the editor to me I know what its like doing that not very easy lots of focus on sectors gj. Keep it up i'm already wondering what the next map would be hope to see more also. But gj on this nice!
 :)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 12:07:55 AM by Duke64 »
Dinosaur Hunter
"Suck it down"
"Boo, No soup for you"
"Arrrgghhhh"
"I live again"

Offline postal

• Iguana
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2017, 01:51:46 PM »
That's a lot of thought into that map I see Postal, good job with this one funny chairy tree. Looks like you got the hang of the editor to me I know what its like doing that not very easy lots of focus on sectors gj. Keep it up i'm already wondering what the next map would be hope to see more also. But gj on this nice!
 :)
Thanks man. And yea I've really gotten a lot faster at sectoring now haha. If I somehow ever get another map idea I'm sure it'll go faster than this did.

also i know I said my previous post would be the last WIP update since all I had left was just detailing, but I ended up having a bit of fun going totally overboard detailing the previously boring looking giant pillar in the maze area

another 506 chairs added to the chair total lol (a little over 2,500 now)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 02:43:13 PM by postal »

Offline Jay Doomed

• Global Moderator
  • T:REP 2632
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2017, 02:15:00 PM »
That's pretty crazy and yeah you done a good job putting sectors on that looks like quite a bit. Good job dude.
"Whatever it is, it doesn't belong in this world."

Offline Duke64

• Administrator
  • Sixty Four
    • View Profile
    • Duke64Nukem.com
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2017, 06:18:56 PM »

Small update since that video last night lol

Can see a small post here about it. Which I will be updating if you want to follow the progress there.

https://duke64nukem.com/2017/08/27/tommygun-mod-in-turok-2-blood-inspired/
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 12:38:16 AM by Duke64 »
Dinosaur Hunter
"Suck it down"
"Boo, No soup for you"
"Arrrgghhhh"
"I live again"

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal