Offline Duke64

• Administrator
  • T:REP 6523
  • Sixty Four
    • View Profile
    • Duke64Nukem.com
Re: DOOM
« Reply #150 on: June 20, 2016, 12:25:18 AM »
Yeah np man and looks awesome with what you have there. Thanks for the credit I appreciate it hehe but no worries I'm just helping a friend you don't have to really do as you please. That is an interesting idea making the map like that having platform sections like Turok. I would surely play your map and playing it for fun to man really nice to see mapping for Doom 64! I will have to go over how to package the wad to be game ready. Its not so difficult but there is issues that you could come across I imagine. I will go over it while I package mine so no worries again. And I have started on map 2 for Doom 64 now also :) Glad the teleport works yess.

Dinosaur Hunter
"Its time to make tracks"
"You are tiny grasshopper"
"Suck it down"
"Boo, No soup for you"
"Arrrgghhhh"
"I live again"

Offline AbyssalDragon86

• Endtrail
  • T:REP 926
  • Lord of The Abyss
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #151 on: June 20, 2016, 06:11:46 AM »
I need to figure out how to make objects like horizontal beams/platforms. Right now, I can only extrude platforms from the floor. I want to have like a top area that hangs out towards the pillar with the key, without having a whole section of wall under it. I'm sure you get what I mean... I'll try and find out by playing around more. I think I might need to make new sections outside the map and change the parameters before placing it inside the rooms?

Once I figure it out, it will look much better.

Anyway, here's a quick Turok inspired map that I made:

Offline Duke64

• Administrator
  • Sixty Four
    • View Profile
    • Duke64Nukem.com
« Reply #152 on: June 21, 2016, 12:41:31 AM »
Niice! making a little tribute to The Campaigner level there it made me think about adding some Turok textures into Doom 64 ex though. So we can use some Turok stuff on it if anyone ever wanted to :) We could create a little Turok texture package. Just a side thought there. I will probably post my Doom 64 map come Friday possibly sooner. I will probably include ways to help make the wad launch through Doom 64 Ex that way you at least got that also. Could you tell me what's happening when you try to launch it so I know the issue? Pretty fun having someone else making a map hopefully more do some :) Can even be Turok based as you can see.

I have been toying with Doom 3 editor some also. Man I feel all Doomed out Doom 64 mapping and Doom 3 mapping same time! Now I want to try and make a tribute to a Turok level in Doom man in one of these editors Doom 64 or Doom 3 I want to make city 4 from Turok 2 hehe.

Dinosaur Hunter
"Suck it down"
"Boo, No soup for you"
"Arrrgghhhh"
"I live again"

Offline Jay Doomed

• Global Moderator
  • T:REP 2632
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 21, 2016, 09:41:50 AM »
Yeah this stuff is awesome guys looks like I got a few maps to look forward to playing. I can try to record playing them to. Yeah Duke hopefully you release your map Friday. Abyssal looks like you picked up on the mapping rather quickly dude really good.

Had a question do you think we should just release the maps in this thread or? I was thinking that because this Doom thread seems to get a lot of post's so if you release a map in here it may be overlooked or drowned out. What if we had a user maps or user content section in general? I don't know just some thoughts maybe it is not such a good thought :)

"Whatever it is, it doesn't belong in this world."

Offline AbyssalDragon86

• Endtrail
  • Lord of The Abyss
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #154 on: June 21, 2016, 12:00:24 PM »
Duke:

About texture packages... I'm missing sky textures. The tiles are replaced with "I SUCK AT MAKING MAPS". xD

The error I get when I open up the Doom game normally (with the orange icon) is:

********* ERROR *********
Exception caught in main: see CRASHLOG.TXT for

I think the map needs to be exported in some way... I'm not at that point yet, anyway. I wish there were more tutorials on Doom 64, because the other Doom games have different settings.

As for opening Doom 3 Editor, I might have to update it because something wasn't working... I did download the game for free (don't judge, I still bought the game! xD) and I can restore it from deletion, from a backup. I should've kept and updated it, even when I bought the BFG Edition on Steam. I prefer the BFG Edition, but not having a map editor with it is the only sucky thing. At least it came with the old games, though.

Doomguy:

I was thinking there should be another thread for that. I feel as if I've posted more about Doom on here, even though I have played Turok games much longer. Then, my map is Turokcentric and it's not feeling like normal Doom, as much. xD

Here's another video.

I won't make too many, but this is my progress. I learned myself how to make the enemies 'Deaf', so that they stay in their positions during the Nightmare Imp fight. I still don't know how to make doors or bridges, yet.

The Chainsaw will be better hidden and some demons like Barons and Knights will be set to 'Nightmare Creatures' mode. I'll call them "Abyssal Knights and Barons"! >:D The basics a pretty easy. Creating the stairs are a bit tricky. The way he slides down stairs is almost like a damn fun slide! xD

Offline Duke64

• Administrator
  • Sixty Four
    • View Profile
    • Duke64Nukem.com
« Reply #155 on: June 22, 2016, 01:18:31 AM »
Sky textures aren't bugs test them out in game I know one of them works. I know in Doom there is some way to make a custom skybox i'm not sure it works with Doom 64 yet though. But those "I suck at mapping" textures I believe work in game and not in the editor. Haven't tested them all I just used the one I first tried which was some purple sky xD Updates on your map looks lot better to.

I almost flooded the thread with another little guide but instead here you go :)

How to make a door in Doom Builder 64 : https://duke64nukem.com/2016/06/22/doom-64-how-to-make-a-door/

To launch the Doom 3 editor just launch Doom 3 and press Ctrl+alt+~ to open the console then type editor and hit enter.

Had a question do you think we should just release the maps in this thread or? I was thinking that because this Doom thread seems to get a lot of post's so if you release a map in here it may be overlooked or drowned out. What if we had a user maps or user content section in general? I don't know just some thoughts maybe it is not such a good thought :)

Hmm do you guys think we should have some kind of General User content board under the general categories for releasing levels, mods, textures or whatever it may be on?

Might as well drop an update on the Doom 3 map :)

« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 01:24:49 AM by Duke64 »
Dinosaur Hunter
"Suck it down"
"Boo, No soup for you"
"Arrrgghhhh"
"I live again"

Offline AbyssalDragon86

• Endtrail
  • Lord of The Abyss
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #156 on: June 22, 2016, 04:39:10 AM »

That's what I'm aiming for and I'm in that Adam Savage mindset... Rejecting everyone's reality and substituting my own! xD

I will make areas that look normal, too. I just want to create something so fucked up and then play it.

Sky textures aren't bugs test them out in game I know one of them works. I know in Doom there is some way to make a custom skybox i'm not sure it works with Doom 64 yet though. But those "I suck at mapping" textures I believe work in game and not in the editor. Haven't tested them all I just used the one I first tried which was some purple sky xD Updates on your map looks lot better to.

I almost flooded the thread with another little guide but instead here you go :)

How to make a door in Doom Builder 64 : https://duke64nukem.com/2016/06/22/doom-64-how-to-make-a-door/

To launch the Doom 3 editor just launch Doom 3 and press Ctrl+alt+~ to open the console then type editor and hit enter.

Hmm do you guys think we should have some kind of General User content board under the general categories for releasing levels, mods, textures or whatever it may be on?

I know how to launch Doom 3 Editor, but something wasn't working. I'll try again, sometime because I was more focused on Doom 64.

Thanks for the thing on doors, I'll try that soon. I won't post any previews tonight. Last night, I posted what I wanted to and I didn't die when jumping the pillars because of recording lag. xD

Yeah, make a thread or something. I know there's a few Doom fans and also fans of other games (especially Duke Nukem). I barely remember Duke Nukem 64 from having it hired, but I did play Manhattan Project many years ago on my older computer. I know that wasn't FPS. I remember activating the cheats on that game and then I couldn't turn them off. They still activated by certain keystrokes.

Too bad I can't seem to load the sky textures, because I wanted some open areas, but I might leave that for another map. My current map is more sunken than Atlantis, anyway.

If there's any tutorials on making bridges or midair platforms, let me know. I don't plan on having midair platforms unless I want to make a forming staircase like in the Lost Land (fortress half), but it might come in handy. That's if it can be done?

Once you make your map, I'd like to play it, too.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2023, 07:41:04 AM by Dinomite »

Offline Jay Doomed

• Global Moderator
  • T:REP 2632
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 22, 2016, 01:33:54 PM »

I won't make too many, but this is my progress. I learned myself how to make the enemies 'Deaf', so that they stay in their positions during the Nightmare Imp fight. I still don't know how to make doors or bridges, yet.
Awesome new video looks like its starting to grow to be something cool and trippy. Even I am not sure about platforms or bridges.

Nice guide on doors and awesome looking Doom 3 map. Yeah Duke I think we should have a new board in the general category for general user content. Like see how you have "Anything else" and info/help boards? How about making a "general User Content" board then we can make threads inside it? I will make a map in something also probably Doom 64 I already know how to use it I made a map before but I lost my old pc. So yeah I know the concern is will there even be enough posted there but I think you should really do that if possible.  You could release Duke maps, Doom maps, and whatever other editors you use all "Release" user content besides Turok can go in there. Then on that board we can release a map like this.

Thread Name: [Release] A day in Hell [Doom 64 ex wad]
Or...
Thread name: [Release] Wang Nukem [Duke Nukem 3D map]
etc etc. Anyways I do think it should have its own board completely down there under anything else.
"Whatever it is, it doesn't belong in this world."

Offline Duke64

• Administrator
  • Sixty Four
    • View Profile
    • Duke64Nukem.com
« Reply #158 on: June 22, 2016, 06:36:45 PM »
Nice guide on doors and awesome looking Doom 3 map. Yeah Duke I think we should have a new board in the general category for general user content. Like see how you have "Anything else" and info/help boards? How about making a "general User Content" board then we can make threads inside it? I will make a map in something also probably Doom 64 I already know how to use it I made a map before but I lost my old pc. So yeah I know the concern is will there even be enough posted there but I think you should really do that if possible.  You could release Duke maps, Doom maps, and whatever other editors you use all "Release" user content besides Turok can go in there. Then on that board we can release a map like this.

Or...
etc etc. Anyways I do think it should have its own board completely down there under anything else.
Do you mean like this? I just added a new board in the general category as a test run.

http://www.turokforums.com/user-mods-maps-and-content/

I know how to launch Doom 3 Editor, but something wasn't working. I'll try again, sometime because I was more focused on Doom 64.
Also, for the Doom 3 editor try launching the game and making it windowed first. Then re-launch and try it again. Don't get it on steam right now though the summer sale is coming and I would think Doom 3 would make it on there quite cheap. But yeah probably best to focus on the Doom 64 editor since your picking it up there plus I can't wait to see what it eventually turns out to be :)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 07:08:51 PM by Duke64 »
Dinosaur Hunter
"Suck it down"
"Boo, No soup for you"
"Arrrgghhhh"
"I live again"

Offline AbyssalDragon86

• Endtrail
  • Lord of The Abyss
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #159 on: June 23, 2016, 12:00:24 PM »

Or...
Do you mean like this? I just added a new board in the general category as a test run.

http://www.turokforums.com/user-mods-maps-and-content/

Also, for the Doom 3 editor try launching the game and making it windowed first. Then re-launch and try it again. Don't get it on steam right now though the summer sale is coming and I would think Doom 3 would make it on there quite cheap. But yeah probably best to focus on the Doom 64 editor since your picking it up there plus I can't wait to see what it eventually turns out to be :)

I don't really want to buy the same game twice and I did that with the editor. I'll give it another try at some point and if I'm having an issue, I'll post what it is.

Well, here's another picture:

Lighting test:

It's the next room at the bottom of the stairs, where I placed the normal Imp. It's quite tricky to cut out a new doorway, then maybe if I had unchecked the "Impassable" option any sooner, it wouldn't have taken as long. xD

Anyway, I was trying out some new wall features (water with blue flames) and I made a good guess to set the cage textures to "Occlusion". Seeming I wasn't quite sure what that word meant, I figured it may give me the effect I wanted. I know how to set up the lighting and it looks pretty cool with flickering. I might make the light beams going slightly wider on the oposite walls, seeming light gets wider at a distance. The second picture is a test. I did a few tests before I built all these wall features. There will be Pinky Demons in that room, too.

I was playing the Alter of Pain before and I was looking at how the textures worked. This has become the first game where I can understand the workings of, because I've never used an editor before, apart from Age of Empires (a Medieval strategy game). Also, I just realized that I missed the secret level. >_<

By the way... How to I un-tile the texture on the doors and make it only one demon face?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal