Author Topic: Kaiser's Model/Animation Format (Technical Documentation)  (Read 13873 times)

Offline Smoke39

• Endtrail
  • T:REP 597
    • View Profile
Re: Kaiser's Model/Animation Format (Technical Documentation)
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2017, 01:54:16 PM »
But honestly, failing all of this? I think just making it upgrade the shotgun and having it only consume 1 shot despite shooting more, would be the best compromise. I don't think players will care all that much, I don't think any of us really cared in Turok 2 that it was double barrel and only used 1 shell.

Either way, its a really cool proof of concept and I'm just excited that you got animations working which I'd like to ask how you did it, if possible? Animation support has been halting my more complex ideas.

Using only 1 shell is a cosmetic issue in T2.  In T1, it's a balance issue -- the difference in ammo efficiency between the double shotgun and auto shotgun would be pretty big if it only used 1 ammo.

Animations are just converted from T2's format to T1's.  They're mostly the same, so it wasn't that hard.  Converting from other formats, like obj or something, will require more research.

Hey Smoke any reason why some mods are not compatible with each other?  I use your mod and Level mods but every time i start the game via Editor Mode a box always pops out.

Like Jay said, if two mods try to override the same file, they'll conflict with each other.  I think Duke's maps only include main.txt to make "new game" start his map.  If you subscribe to Turok+ after the map (to make it take precedence in the load order), and load the map manually, it might work.

I advocated for reorganizing main.txt in the base game to reduce the chance of maps and mods conflicting over it, but never got a response.  We could do it ourselves, but it'd require everyone agreeing to the standard, and would be an additional hoop for players to jump through.  And there'd still be other files that could be in conflict (e.g., the defs files).  Kex just isn't very modular when it comes to its file structure, so it's kinda inherently prone to conflicts.

Offline Mon-Ark

• Raptor
  • T:REP 420
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2017, 03:25:35 PM »
Adding a third shotgun really sounds like alot fo balancing issues. Maybe if you could choose between 2 characters, some of their weapons were different between eachother, or somehting like that.

Personally I feel a few of the original weapons could have some new functions. Dual miniguns maybe?

Offline raul

• Iguana
  • T:REP 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2017, 03:51:18 AM »
Smoke39, how did you about importing the shotgun with animations into the game? This code kaiser posted is very confusing to me, because im not exactly what language even is or how to go about doing anything with it. Thanks!

Offline Smoke39

• Endtrail
  • T:REP 597
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2017, 04:32:41 AM »
Kaiser's notes aren't code, they're just specifications of the file formats.  If you missed my earlier post about it, I wrote my own C-style pseudo-code that represents the data in the same structure as the files, with some additional comments on how all the parts fit together.  You can find my notes at the bottom of my guide, which is linked in my sig.

Just read each variable in order.  When you get to an array, read each element in sequence.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal