Author Topic: [HELP] Importing custom models  (Read 6046 times)

Offline Badger

• Endtrail
  • T:REP 772
    • View Profile
[HELP] Importing custom models
« on: May 26, 2017, 02:23:38 PM »
So a friend of mine made this neat model that I could use, but this is my first time importing anything.

Not totally sure what is going on, but whenever I type "convertobj TotemPole_MDL.obj" it gives me the error:

Code: [Select]
kexParser::Open: TotemPole_MDL.objTotemPole_MDL.mtl not found
TotemPole_MDL.mtl not found

They're both in the "Turok: Dinosaur Hunter" folder, and of course I get an empty .bin for my troubles.

My friend doesn't Turok mod, and i have no modelling exp, so I'm clueless as how to correct the contents.

.obj conents:

.mtl contents:

If it helps, "template.png" is the name of the texture, I can't make heads or tails on what to do next.

Edit: DoomMarine23 helped me import the model I had trouble with, this thread would best be used as a tutorial thread of sorts.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 08:00:26 PM by Badger »

Offline raul

• Iguana
  • T:REP 70
    • View Profile
Re: [HELP] Importing custom models
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 03:39:45 AM »
Your model is not compiling simply because is not pointing to any materials.  Your .mtl file should read something like materials/mymaterial/materialDef. Where my material is a folder, "myMaterial" is the name of the file you are pointing to, and "materialDef" is the defined material within the .kmat file.   Again, this means that you have to create a folder called "materials" and inside of it crate a .kmat using notepad. Kaiser wrote a guide about this.  And i wrote a little hacky exporter and made a video to help others, as this gave me a lot of grief in the beggining. The script is for maya.

Offline Badger

• Endtrail
  • T:REP 772
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 11:42:18 PM »
Thanks for uploading that vid raul, i'm gonna gloss over it for sure.

Offline Duke64

• Administrator
  • T:REP 6523
  • Sixty Four
    • View Profile
    • Duke64Nukem.com
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 03:06:41 AM »
Its not as hard as it seems at first. People have got it right already and I can tell you its not that hard. It just first seems near impossible because of obstacles. But its not, there are a few specifics that's all..
Dinosaur Hunter
"Its time to make tracks"
"You are tiny grasshopper"
"Suck it down"
"Boo, No soup for you"
"Arrrgghhhh"
"I live again"

Offline raul

• Iguana
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2017, 09:49:01 AM »
The process is extremely confusion for sure, specially if you have no experience looking up files with a text document.  Can be very daunting for sure. I almost gave up, im glad i didnt. It helped me push myself to learn new stuff and somehow managged to make a semi plugin for maya...lesson here...dont give up, take breaks and get back at it!

Nightdive did a very great job simply releasasing the game, bonus points for given us the tools. But they definately could have taken a bit of time for at least make a simple modern model viewer for importing assets, setting up materials. But i suppose nothing can be perfect.

Offline Jay Doomed

• Global Moderator
  • T:REP 2632
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2017, 11:17:26 AM »
Nice guide and plug in for Maya btw. Where can I download it?
"Whatever it is, it doesn't belong in this world."

Offline raul

• Iguana
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2017, 11:14:19 AM »
Thanks! i made a post about it on the steam turok forums
https://steamcommunity.com/app/405820/discussions/1/135508031949085390/

and you may also read about it, and download from my website.
http://raparicio.com/turok-objexporter-v-1/

It is super hacky and experimental, so please let me know if you need help with it!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal