Author Topic: Turok Level Editor  (Read 149171 times)

Offline operative lm

• Raptor
  • T:REP 372
    • View Profile
Re: Turok level viewer/exporter
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2015, 04:07:35 PM »
It's the third level of Chapter 1; I guess it'd be pod01_03_ttjungle? At the player spawn, there's a river that must be followed around to the left, and on the bank just before the waterfall, there are Sleg Scouts pumping some River Villagers full of bullets.

Offline Stinkee2

• Raptor
  • T:REP 242
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2015, 10:18:59 PM »
It's the third level of Chapter 1; I guess it'd be pod01_03_ttjungle? At the player spawn, there's a river that must be followed around to the left, and on the bank just before the waterfall, there are Sleg Scouts pumping some River Villagers full of bullets.

"Hah hah hah. We don't even need weapons!"

I remember that part. I thought he meant Slegs killing baboons. I'll upload a screenshot of that scene when I get back to my code.

EDIT:
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 09:51:11 PM by Stinkee2 »

Offline Drahsid

• Endtrail
  • T:REP 557
  • That I be considered worthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2015, 11:33:06 PM »
Nice progress!
Maybe you could make it into a whole game editor?
If you need any help with anything, I'm up for it.
Well that didn't work

Offline Stinkee2

• Raptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2015, 12:42:39 AM »
Nice progress!

That's the plan, Stan.

It wouldn't hurt to have a second programmer, I'm using C++. You'd need to install cmake in order to generate the project files if you use one of the supported IDEs. Everything is already portable from OS X to Windows so that wouldn't be a problem. You also of course would need to have Turok: Evolution installed. The tool takes a .ATR file and the path of the Turok installation as arguments. The ATR file can be anywhere, it doesn't have to be loaded directly from the Turok data directory.

Another thing I could use more help with is figuring out what the majority of the data means. It's usually pretty easy to identify some kind of structure among the bytes of data using a hex editor, but once I figure a block of data out I still have no idea what most of the values mean.

So if you want to do either of those things then I'll send you a link to a github repository that contains all of the code.

Offline Duke64

• Administrator
  • T:REP 6523
  • Sixty Four
    • View Profile
    • Duke64Nukem.com
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2015, 01:28:24 AM »
Yeah teamwork can make the dream work sounds cliche ha but think about it whenever there is winning there is a team :P Well Stinkee progress is really good whether you hit a wall or not I appreciate what your doing keep it up :)
Dinosaur Hunter
"Its time to make tracks"
"You are tiny grasshopper"
"Suck it down"
"Boo, No soup for you"
"Arrrgghhhh"
"I live again"

Offline Stinkee2

• Raptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2015, 08:34:38 PM »
I've compiled the tool for windows and attached an archive containing the program, a brief instructional text, and a .bat file to make running the program more convenient since it's technically a command line tool.

All you should need to do is copy the level .ATR file which you want to load into the directory named "Resources" and rename the file to "Test.atr", then run "Run.bat". If that doesn't work, check if your installation of Turok: Evolution is in "C:/Program Files (x86)/Turok Evolution". If it's not, update Run.bat with the path that Turok is installed to. It must be in quotes.

Depending on how many actors are in the level (including bushes, enemies, animals, trees, etc), it might take a minute or two to load, but typically for me it loads in seconds. Let me know how it works out. Don't hesitate to post screenshots of anything you find curious or interesting.

The controls are simple, WSAD for moving around and use your mouse for rotating the camera.

Oh and sometimes turning the camera left/right is inverted, because the camera spawned upside down. I'm not sure why this happens yet, but if it happens to you, do this:
Turn around horizontally ~180 degrees, turn vertically ~180 degrees. Then just look around to relocate the level.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 11:30:13 PM by Stinkee2 »

Offline operative lm

• Raptor
  • T:REP 372
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2015, 11:52:14 PM »
I've been playing with this off an on today, and I've been enjoying your work. Excellent job! Of course, I keep trying to open non-level .atr files, hoping that one will work, but alas. :P

I haven't found anything weird yet, but I love how the Brachiosaur in "Jungle Hunter" is just kinda floating outside of the level boundaries. You keep floatin' on, buddy.

You said to let you know when we find a level that crashes the viewer, so in the interest of small-ish post sizes, I'll refrain from copy-pasting the full output log and just tell you that Pod 12's sc-12-b crashed. There were a couple of others, but I didn't write them down and that one's the only one I remember off hand.

Offline Stinkee2

• Raptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2015, 01:19:12 AM »
I'm glad you're enjoying it. There are some pretty funky placements of things I've noticed. In the one multiplayer level with the trains there is a cage floating way off in nowhere. My only guess is that that is used as a moving part and is placed when the engine initializes the level. I wonder if it is used to drop on opponents? I didn't see that in the PS2 version anywhere.

Thanks for the information, I'll get to debugging and report here if I find anything interesting worth sharing.

Offline djdduty

• Iguana
  • T:REP 99
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2015, 03:38:06 AM »
Nice progress!

That's the plan, Stan.

It wouldn't hurt to have a second programmer, I'm using C++. You'd need to install cmake in order to generate the project files if you use one of the supported IDEs. Everything is already portable from OS X to Windows so that wouldn't be a problem. You also of course would need to have Turok: Evolution installed. The tool takes a .ATR file and the path of the Turok installation as arguments. The ATR file can be anywhere, it doesn't have to be loaded directly from the Turok data directory.

Another thing I could use more help with is figuring out what the majority of the data means. It's usually pretty easy to identify some kind of structure among the bytes of data using a hex editor, but once I figure a block of data out I still have no idea what most of the values mean.

So if you want to do either of those things then I'll send you a link to a github repository that contains all of the code.

Look I made an account!

Since I hopped off skype I'll post here. I actually think I'll have to personally give read / edit access to the repo or make it public, since it's private at the moment. Maybe we should make a seperate repo with the renderer binaries pulled in and just the turok editor source code with some simple cmake config files and maybe even bat scripts to simplify the project generation process. Also I'm not sure if we're ready to unveil the renderer source code yet with no documentation and such, the build process and potential errors could be too obscure. Another reason would be to keep the renderer repo clean and populated only with tests and engine code, since the code might change and break old projects we only want working binaries in the viewer.

For all those who don't know me and are probably wondering why I just popped into existence, hello I'm djdduty. I'm a long term professional and hobbyist programmer who has worked on some projects with Stinkee in the past, including our current renderer project (Even though he's done most of the work since I've been lazy as far as hobby coding has gone lately). Keep in mind the turok viewer / editor is ENTIRELY him, I dropped out of existence for a month or two and have no part in it. That said I would like to help on the project since you all have made me personally excited, seeing as how you all are looking forward to a potential modding tool so much, it seems like a big deal to you and I love being a part of things especially for a community like this.

Hopefully this forum post ensures that I live up to my words and I remain motivated.

Offline Rok

• Global Moderator
  • T:REP 1968
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2015, 10:33:15 AM »
Welcome! And hell yeah we are looking forward to this! Thanks for coming to help Stinkee. Even though he is moving really fast with this. The more help the better! And more interesting people is great.

Btw Stinkee really nice work so far damn dude that fast progress. I mean I didn't expect what you have so far un till a few months.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 10:36:42 AM by Rok »
Raptor Rok is metal.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal