Author Topic: Smoke's Modding Guide  (Read 43416 times)

Offline Smoke39

• Endtrail
  • T:REP 597
    • View Profile
Smoke's Modding Guide
« on: September 10, 2016, 12:29:02 AM »
I decided that hiding this in my sig was a dumb idea. :b

Turok EX Modding Guide

I just updated the Getting Started guide to be a lot more detailed.  Hopefully it will better explain how things work, rather than simply throwing out instructions.

I also finally got started on the scripting reference.  Still working out how to organize things, but it's a start.

Next I'd like to write a series of tutorials for adding a weapon to the game.  A sufficiently complex weapon could walk modders through a whole bunch of aspects of the engine.  I was thinking something like a poison dart rifle or something.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 01:35:23 PM by Smoke39 »

Offline Duke64

• Administrator
  • T:REP 6523
  • Sixty Four
    • View Profile
    • Duke64Nukem.com
Re: Smoke's Modding Guide
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2016, 12:45:27 AM »
Even I appreciate your guides dude. They can say a lot, like even if your looking at something that may be complicated you make it a little brighter for others. I can say honestly great job on these.
Dinosaur Hunter
"Its time to make tracks"
"You are tiny grasshopper"
"Suck it down"
"Boo, No soup for you"
"Arrrgghhhh"
"I live again"

Offline Smoke39

• Endtrail
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 02:57:30 AM »
Just updated the guide with a ksnd reference, and a variety of other fixes and refinements.  This isn't the first update I've made, but I wanted to bring attention to it because Kaiser has his own ksnd guide on the Steam forums, but it has some errors and omissions.

Offline Jay Doomed

• Global Moderator
  • T:REP 2632
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 12:33:26 PM »
Thanks for doing the guides so you know some people do look :) I would like to know which part Kaiser has wrong on his ksnd guide?
"Whatever it is, it doesn't belong in this world."

Offline Smoke39

• Endtrail
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 08:26:49 AM »
"max," "start," and "end" can be > 1.0.  Volume seems to get capped to 1.0 in the end, but you can still do stuff like max=2, start=0.5 to get there.

There's an edge case where "start" will have an effect in the "volume_envelope" block, even if "bEnableVolumeEnvelope" is 0.

When the volume envelope is enabled, "start" and "end" get scaled by "max."  When the pitch envelope is enabled, "start" and "end" will be used as-is; "max" is only used when the pitch envelope is disabled.

Basically the envelope blocks are full of quirks, so pay close attention to the details.

Offline Smoke39

• Endtrail
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2016, 03:47:15 PM »
Just put up a pretty massive update.  The scripts section's been completely overhauled.  Almost all the native class function signatures are listed.  There's also some more general info, like areas and sectors, and how the tick rate works.  I've also tried to add links connecting related concepts, plus you can click on class names in function parameters and variable declarations to go to that class' page.

There's still a lot that needs to be tested and documented, but what's there now should make it a lot easier to get a feel for how things fit together, as well as an organized basis for further research.

Offline Duke64

• Administrator
  • Sixty Four
    • View Profile
    • Duke64Nukem.com
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2016, 06:31:49 PM »
Something seems to be wrong with your guide my friend. When I try to click on it.
Dinosaur Hunter
"Suck it down"
"Boo, No soup for you"
"Arrrgghhhh"
"I live again"

Offline Smoke39

• Endtrail
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2016, 08:47:41 PM »
Shit.  Looks like dropbox removed html rendering over a month ago.  I'm gonna have to figure out some other way to host this. :/

Offline Smoke39

• Endtrail
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2016, 01:38:09 PM »
Moved to GitHub, updated OP.

Offline Duke64

• Administrator
  • Sixty Four
    • View Profile
    • Duke64Nukem.com
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2016, 06:20:10 PM »
Nice. Thanks man I do reference this sometimes. I even have a look sometimes for myself, if I think I could be wrong about something.
Dinosaur Hunter
"Suck it down"
"Boo, No soup for you"
"Arrrgghhhh"
"I live again"

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal