Author Topic: Editing Turok Textures guide  (Read 8872 times)

Offline Duke64

• Administrator
  • T:REP 6523
  • Sixty Four
    • View Profile
    • Duke64Nukem.com
Editing Turok Textures guide
« on: January 17, 2016, 05:18:56 PM »
Considering you already followed the Basic modding guide.

Here I wanted to give a briefing on editing and playing textures in Turok I was asked by a few people so here hehe. This is specific to how I do it myself. The steps are small but I wanted to spread and go into detail on some.

Step 1: Create a new folder on your desktop and name it "textures"

Step 2: Go inside Turok Dinosaur Hunter's directory and open the game.kpf and find your textures folder.

Step 3: Find the texture that you want to replace. You could need/use this original texture as a base for editing on specific textures such as weapons or other non flat textures. But what you really need is the file name. In this case I will use tex0129_00.png
Okay this is the texture here we will edit. tex0129_00.png

Step 4: Get your own texture and rename it to the specific file name of the texture you want replaced.

Here I will use this one I wanted to test the dimensions so I use a 2048x2048.

Step 5: In step 1 you made a textures folder place your renamed png texture file in there.

Step 6: Right click your textures folder and add to archive or zip.

Step 7: Take that zipped folder and place it into your mods folder and rename it to textures.kpf. You can name your kpf however you wish as long as the textures folder is inside named correctly and your kpf is in the mods folder.

After you rename your done. The example below is not to match or anything its one of the first textures in the game that everyone should be familiar with so I used it as an example. I just through a texture I have that is 2048x2048 in here for a test. Thanks enjoy hope it helps.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 05:32:52 PM by Duke64 »
Dinosaur Hunter
"Its time to make tracks"
"You are tiny grasshopper"
"Suck it down"
"Boo, No soup for you"
"Arrrgghhhh"
"I live again"

Offline The_EyeofTurok

• Iguana
  • T:REP 121
    • View Profile
Re: Editing Turok Textures guide
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 09:47:39 AM »
I will admit I was one person who asked for this thanks 64. Going to give it a shot today i'm not looking to do anything big like a full hd mod or anything. Just some fun tweaks I wanted to do for my game. Well since we can edit now I thought I will try to learn somethings  :o
They are watching

Offline Adon

• Protector
  • T:REP 910
  • Mystical
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 01:19:11 PM »
I'm not interested in doing it but playing and seeing re textures is fun so thanks for the write up. Also, very nice guide even I tried and works perfect.
I AM ADON

Offline Jay Doomed

• Global Moderator
  • T:REP 2632
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 02:55:12 AM »
What the heck the shotgun has a texture that is used more. It appears on the pulse rifle and the assault rifle lol! Thanks for this :) its a time consuming thing. That being said respect to who messes with these.
"Whatever it is, it doesn't belong in this world."

Offline Drahsid

• Endtrail
  • T:REP 557
  • That I be considered worthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 11:04:13 PM »
Looks cool. Does anyone know the total texture count? (All of the images) because I might be able to put together a nice Texture pack.
Well that didn't work

Offline Duke64

• Administrator
  • Sixty Four
    • View Profile
    • Duke64Nukem.com
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 12:01:15 AM »
There are 2,492 png files for textures because there are varied types of textures for a few of them and stuff like that. There is actually 2,490 but there are two special ones which are the tile for reflective water and the Turok logo. Would be nice to see any texture pack to btw.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 02:23:19 AM by Duke64 »
Dinosaur Hunter
"Suck it down"
"Boo, No soup for you"
"Arrrgghhhh"
"I live again"

Offline Mon-Ark

• Raptor
  • T:REP 420
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 12:35:28 PM »
Have textures been rearranged and fused into an UV map, compared to the original textures in which all the textures for, lets say, a single enemy were all separate files instead of a single file?

Offline Duke64

• Administrator
  • Sixty Four
    • View Profile
    • Duke64Nukem.com
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2016, 08:11:01 PM »
Its still separate png files for each texture. For example the raptor has a few texture files just for one of the color variants. The textures for the raptor cover different parts of his body like the tail and body etc etc. Then it has more for each color variant.
Dinosaur Hunter
"Suck it down"
"Boo, No soup for you"
"Arrrgghhhh"
"I live again"

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal