Author Topic: Exporting Turok Dinosaur Hunter Models (all nodes) guide  (Read 16316 times)

Offline Duke64

• Administrator
  • T:REP 6523
  • Sixty Four
    • View Profile
    • Duke64Nukem.com
Exporting Turok Dinosaur Hunter Models (all nodes) guide
« on: February 09, 2016, 01:14:34 AM »
Small guide on how to export the models for your viewing. The models are packaged inside .bin files. Which is simply a file that has 1 or more objects in each model. The .bin packages them as one. So we need to open the .bin files to extract the obj files from it.

1.) Go inside your game.kpf

2.) Open the models folder and pick the model you want. (Here in my example I will just use the knife)

3.) Make a copy of the .bin file

Here I am copying my choice dyn_knife.bin

4.) Paste the copy of the .bin file directly into Turoks game directory.

5.) Launch Turok and at the main menu open the console by pressing the ~ key.

6.) In the console you need to type exportobj (then insert your file name) and hit enter

Example for me using the knife I must do:

exportobj dyn_knife.bin (hit enter)

(be sure to put a space between exportobj and your model choice)

7.) Once you do this you can exit the game and in your Turok folder directory (steam or gog) you should have the file and models ready for view in your choice of software. I use blender and misfit 3d. They should be in your folder like this after the console command.

This obj file can be opened in most model software.

Here it is opened in blender

Since we did exportobj we will have access to all node parts (pieces of the model)

If you want control over the model as one hole object I will write this in another guide.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 03:00:06 AM by Duke64 »
Dinosaur Hunter
"Its time to make tracks"
"You are tiny grasshopper"
"Suck it down"
"Boo, No soup for you"
"Arrrgghhhh"
"I live again"

Offline Adon

• Protector
  • T:REP 910
  • Mystical
    • View Profile
Re: Exporting Turok Dinosaur Hunter Models (all nodes) guide
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 01:52:24 PM »
Very good Dukey
I AM ADON

Offline MaxMan

• Raptor
  • T:REP 166
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 02:15:50 PM »
Your guides are well explained dude. Worked perfectly! I been trying to get the models out of the bin files but had no idea how. Hope to see more guides like this

Offline Duke64

• Administrator
  • Sixty Four
    • View Profile
    • Duke64Nukem.com
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 04:25:58 PM »
Oh don't worry you will see many more its just a matter of time. I am really busy almost all of my time. But even more on top of that will come out once the editor releases ;) Oh btw thanks very much hope it helps. They will also be featured here. https://duke64nukem.com/category/turok-dinosaur-hunter-guides/
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 04:27:47 PM by Duke64 »
Dinosaur Hunter
"Suck it down"
"Boo, No soup for you"
"Arrrgghhhh"
"I live again"

Offline Snake Plissken

• Endtrail
  • T:REP 675
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2016, 04:51:36 PM »
Small guide on how to export the models for your viewing. The models are packaged inside .bin files. Which is simply a file that has 1 or more objects in each model. The .bin packages them as one. So we need to open the .bin files to extract the obj files from it.

1.) Go inside your game.kpf

2.) Open the models folder and pick the model you want. (Here in my example I will just use the knife)

3.) Make a copy of the .bin file

Here I am copying my choice dyn_knife.bin

4.) Paste the copy of the .bin file directly into Turoks game directory.

5.) Launch Turok and at the main menu open the console by pressing the ~ key.

6.) In the console you need to type exportobj (then insert your file name) and hit enter

Example for me using the knife I must do:

exportobj dyn_knife.bin (hit enter)

(be sure to put a space between exportobj and your model choice)

7.) Once you do this you can exit the game and in your Turok folder directory (steam or gog) you should have the file and models ready for view in your choice of software. I use blender and misfit 3d. They should be in your folder like this after the console command.

This obj file can be opened in most model software.

Here it is opened in blender

Since we did exportobj we will have access to all node parts (pieces of the model)

If you want control over the model as one hole object I will write this in another guide.

Hey Duke I read your tutorials that are here and there, great job. I noticed in a few of them you refer to models obtained via exportanimobj as "the model as a hole" and you refer to a model obtained via export obj as "peacies" or was it... " all peacies/parts of a model" followed by if you would like cool over the model as a hole I'll right another tutorial about that, witch led me to your exportanimobj. Correct me if I got this incorrect understandin or something. But I wanted to ask you what you mean by this. Is it now possible for users to utilize exportanimobj for any reason. Just I'm under the impression that it's a I completed cvar command declaration for the console holdin it back from working at all or something.  I recall herring down he grape vine ( Kaiser ) that the exportobjanim was incompletely or improperly implemented  as featured in there final product ( Turoks kex engine) last time I checked exportanimobj exported in some cases each node as a model into its own file, and in other cases would for some reason... Export the models in a few nodes here and also ever so often a node would be braked up into 2 to 4 faces, then just those faces exported as a model wile the rest of the node is in a ore file. Maby I'm stoned or maby somethings have changed on the scene lol sorry. Also turok4lif and duke64 your the man.

Offline Duke64

• Administrator
  • Sixty Four
    • View Profile
    • Duke64Nukem.com
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2016, 01:35:07 AM »
The stuff you did with models how you did as much as possible and you talked to me the hole time. I learned a thing or two from you while you did that dude so you're the man I think that you could do whatever you set your thoughts to. You understand it almost completely :P But its true its like each piece of a model was connected to a node of its own. I couldn't find anyway to change it, its like it is hard coded. Kaiser is a good guy if he had his way everything would be legally processed and good ready to go :P I was writing those guides and got a little discouraged when the thing I'm best at wasn't here publicly. I like to spill knowledge on to the next and what I am best at is mapping. DooM has been holding my sanity together. If I don't map I will be insane.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 01:36:36 AM by Duke64 »
Dinosaur Hunter
"Suck it down"
"Boo, No soup for you"
"Arrrgghhhh"
"I live again"

Offline Rok

• Global Moderator
  • T:REP 1968
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2016, 01:33:46 PM »
You are already insane Sixty xD. But you put your insanity into your maps and they turn out great ;)
Raptor Rok is metal.

Offline Mon-Ark

• Raptor
  • T:REP 420
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2016, 01:39:50 PM »
I used to model some stuff back in the day, but this "nodes" things i never heard before.

I kinda understand the model is split into pieces or groups as N64 textures where all separate pieces instead of a single texture sheet containing everything for a single model.

Offline ChillyE

• Iguana
  • T:REP 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2017, 12:32:36 AM »
Hey all. I have been having some trouble with the model export and could use some help. Any time I use the exportobj command, it only exports the .mtl file and not the obj file. Is there something I am doing wrong? I am using the gog version if that makes any difference.
Hope no one minds me resurrecting an old thread.

Offline Gazer

• Raptor
  • T:REP 484
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2017, 07:23:12 AM »
Hi Chilly, this tutorial worked for me just fine. But not gog version, I used the steam version, right that's the difference. You used the regular in game console and not the editor console? And you moved the model (bin) file out of models folder into turok root folder? Worked every time for me. When I made an error there was a note in console that would say .mtl not found or obj not found.
No Ciggi

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal