Author Topic: [Release] Turok+  (Read 101714 times)

Offline Rok

• Global Moderator
  • T:REP 1968
    • View Profile
Re: [Release] Turok+ v1.75
« Reply #100 on: April 06, 2018, 10:24:26 AM »
 :treasure: :treasure: cool man sorry for late reply that was pretty fun and I see it was already updated on turok sanctum
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 10:26:00 AM by Rok »
Raptor Rok is metal.

Offline Smoke39

• Endtrail
  • T:REP 597
    • View Profile
Re: [Release] Turok+ v1.8
« Reply #101 on: April 17, 2018, 04:16:15 PM »
New version is up with T2 talon/warblade and MP AR, an option for classic alien weapon detonation, and a revamped Turok+ menu.

This version has a lot of changes behind the scenes to better accommodate the growing list of features, so hopefully I didn't break anything. :b

Offline Duke64

• Administrator
  • T:REP 6523
  • Sixty Four
    • View Profile
    • Duke64Nukem.com
« Reply #102 on: April 18, 2018, 04:53:25 PM »
Smoke I tried yesterday and today and waited like 30 minutes for it to show up. But the download option is not showing for me this is why I can't stand dropbox :o
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 04:57:42 PM by Duke64 »
Dinosaur Hunter
"Its time to make tracks"
"You are tiny grasshopper"
"Suck it down"
"Boo, No soup for you"
"Arrrgghhhh"
"I live again"

Offline Smoke39

• Endtrail
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 18, 2018, 09:27:29 PM »
Don't click the kpf.  Just download the whole zip file.

Offline BehemothProgrammer

• Endtrail
  • T:REP 791
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 11, 2018, 09:12:16 PM »
I got a chance to play through the latest version and really wanted to get the warblade which took me a while. Overall you did some really great work with the models, animations, and fx. I'll just go through each weapon with my thoughts.

Talons: Well done with the animations and the 2 blood swipe fx. Attacks slower than the knife though. Way way way too many kills required to unlock the warblade. I had to claw everything in my path through levels 1-4 to get it, I don't think anyone playing normally would kill everything with talons for half the game.
Warblade: Another awesome T2 addition. Except in T2 it can hit up to 3 times, here it still only hits once. Wish it had the 2 blood swipes that the Talon has. Does it hurt more? I can't tell.
Bow: Cool crossbow from T2 but I prefer the T1+ Bow you made. I wish there was an option for it to shoot arrows like the crossbow. I like the arrow models you made too, much better.
Pistol: Pistol burst laser sighting works amazingly well I love it. I like the dual pistols better though because they shoot faster.
Assault Rifle: Your Turok+ assault rifle with auto fire is the best version.
Auto Shotgun: I like the new spread on it, which makes it slightly worse than the shotgun. Needed a little nerf. Don't like the slow moving flame explosive shot.
Double Barrel Shotgun: Another cool T2 weapon Addition. I find the time to hold down is too short to fire both barrels but I can see how too long would be a bad thing too. I think the alt fire(togglescope) might be a better choice for both barrels at once
Plasma Carbine: Functions like the old plasma rifle except it looks like the assault rifle? It's a little weird. I think the model should look different in some way.
Plasma Rifle: love that you got the plasma beam down pretty much the same, really awesome work.
Minigun: Tracer and muzzle effects make it look awesome. Ramping up is a nice touch too. Hopefully you add in dual miniguns in the future XD.
Alien weapon: Right on, you have the option to remove that delay before it explodes. That always kinda annoyed me. The flame thrower and it's effects are really awesome too. Need a flame thrower weapon model.
Particle Weapon: Liked that you colored the textures for the light areas. Looks great.
Throwing Grenades: My least liked weapon in Turok+. It's that you can't hold them longer to throw farther like the sunfire pods in T2. And that they don't explode on impact with actors.

Bug I found: Switch from the Rocket Launcher and back to the Rocket Launcher makes it invisible.

More options and stuff that'd be cool to have:
- Option to remove grenade throwing.
- Option to have the auto shotgun explosive shots back to normal.
- Option for enemies to drop items when they die no matter the difficulty settings
- Option to remove Turoks blob shadow
- Ability to open the Turok+ options menu anywhere at any time with a key bind or button combination

Overall, it's pretty awesome stuff! Looking forward to future releases.
Turok 2 Co-Op Mod

QTurok | Turok: Mountain of the Sun | WolfenTurok 3D | and more...

Offline Smoke39

• Endtrail
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 12, 2018, 04:52:02 PM »
I got a little lazy with accounting for differences in anim lengths with the talon.  Should probably go back and clean things up a bit.

War blade acquisition is actually based on keys and chronoscepter pieces in addition to melee kills.  In testing, I found basing it solely on kills led to way too much difference depending on how aggressive you were with melee kills.  As it is now, you should get the war blade on the first melee kill on level 4 if you're thorough with keys and chrono pieces and merely opportunistic with melee kills, late in level 3 if you're very aggressive.  It might make more sense to take chrono pieces out of the equation, though.

The war blade hurts much more from the front, especially against enemies that are normally resistant to the knife, and only a little more from behind.  It doesn't have 2 blood streaks because the blades are in-line with each other.  I do want to design a messier hit effect eventually, though.  Not sure about hitting multiple times.  I have something else in mind for multi-hit melee.

The main reason I didn't add recoverable arrows to the tek bow is that actor-based projectiles have some collision issues I don't want to force on people.  I could make it optional, but I might just leave it for the T2 bows.

I think the reason I designed the double shotgun like that was to keep it fully functional even without custom keybinds.  That was also before the upgrade was made optional, so maybe that's a little over-protective now.  Thinking about it some more, perhaps it could be changed to double-tap to fire both barrels in sequence, and maybe add the option to fire both barrels simultaneously with the scope key?  I often find it kinda hard to land both shots, so it's something I'd like to revise, too.

You're the first person I've seen mention the plasma carbine.  You might be the first to've found it!  It was originally an "energy adaptor" for the assault rifle (implying why sergeants were firing plasma from what appeared to be ordinary rifles, and more easily excusing the model re-use), but I changed it to a wholly separate weapon to let you get it sooner.  Eventually I'd like to make it look more like what the sergeants hold.

I'll get to the T2 flamethrower eventually. :b

Hand grenades are intentionally situational to avoid giving you too much power early on, and to avoid rendering the launcher redundant.  Thinking about it, though, keeping the off-hand version as it is, but increasing the range and maybe adding cooking to the selectable weapon might be an okay compromise.  That way you'd at least have to commit to it.

Already fixed the rocket launcher for the next version. :)

Dragon's breath should probably be optional (with added spread when disabled).  Making hand grenades optional might be kinda weird, though.  The weapon can't be taken back once acquired, but off-hand grenades can be disabled arbitrarily.  So would the option be immutable once you get a grenade, but mutable again once you got the launcher? :/

The difficulty with opening the Turok+ menu anywhere is that locking the player doesn't pause anything else.  I could maybe just halt the player and leave it up to them to pick a safe spot, but it'd require extra code to keep weapons from firing.  Or I could maybe use spirit mode with 0 time scale, if the lights aren't too weird.  I'm also not sure I want the player to be able to change their loadout too freely, but I could always add more terminals within the levels if I got the pause thing sorted.

Offline BehemothProgrammer

• Endtrail
  • T:REP 791
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 12, 2018, 10:31:11 PM »
For the warblade the description said just get melee kills so that's why I thought it was all kills. But yeah I see why you did it with the keys.
The arrows: Yeah understandable with no poly collision and the stupidness of bridge sectors which is terrible in this game(in T2 it works).

For removing the hand grenades, easiest thing to do is if the player doesn't have them and the option is off then don't give them, and if they already have them then to bad. If you want to try and go beyond that you can remove weapons by setting the GameVariable g_newgame to true and the next time a map begins you'll have only your default weapons. As I remember everything else stays the same. A real new game is only triggered by selecting the Start Game title menu option.

Turok+ menu: Right I forgot that enemies don't attack you when the player is locked and in a cinema you can't use help text. You'd have to constantly set the players positions but it doesn't prevent them from moving for 1 frame before warping them back, yeah I'd say nevermind about that then, too annoying to deal with.

I'll get to the T2 flamethrower eventually. :b

Already fixed the rocket launcher for the next version. :)
Awesome.
Turok 2 Co-Op Mod

QTurok | Turok: Mountain of the Sun | WolfenTurok 3D | and more...

Offline Smoke39

• Endtrail
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 13, 2018, 02:06:31 AM »
I only mention melee kills in the description to save space, and because it's the only "actionable" aspect, since the player needs to collect keys anyway.  Or at least it is now that chronoscepter pieces are out of the equation.

Right, locking the setting on is what I would do.  What I was trying to get at is the awkwardness of turning the feature on after you had the launcher.  It'd enable off-hand grenades, but not the selectable weapon, since it was already replaced by the launcher.  But I think all I need to do is change the "on" string to "off-hand" or something once you have the launcher, to make it clear you're only activating half of the functionality.

I wasn't aware that's what g_newgame did.  That's good to know.

Offline Smoke39

• Endtrail
    • View Profile
Re: [Release] Turok+ v1.85
« Reply #108 on: May 19, 2018, 05:25:47 PM »
New version is up with Turok 2 flare gun, firestorm cannon, and grenade launcher.

Also of note are some T2 melee tweaks, reduced projectile offset for shotguns, and an option to disable dragon's breath.

Besides that are a bunch of other minor touchups (full change notes in the OP).

Offline Rok

• Global Moderator
  • T:REP 1968
    • View Profile
Re: [Release] Turok+ v1.85
« Reply #109 on: May 19, 2018, 08:49:31 PM »
T2 Weapons fest this should be fun  :feather:
Raptor Rok is metal.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal