Author Topic: Turok Level Editor  (Read 147657 times)

Offline Stinkee2

• Raptor
  • T:REP 242
    • View Profile
Re: Turok ATR viewer/exporter
« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2015, 06:24:25 AM »
Greetings comrades. I've updated the original post in this thread to make the status of this project more clear in less time than it takes to browse the posts and collect the information yourself. I hope this is acceptable. It's also for me to keep track of what is done and what needs to be done.

I haven't made much progress on the binary side of things in the past few days, I've been working on preparing the rendering engine for a more clean user experience so that you can hopefully browse and edit levels without dealing with ridiculously low frame rates. While I've been working on that, djdduty has been working on preparing the rendering engine for the creation of the tool's user interface as well as helping me with increasing the frame rates. These changes will be available for observing in the next revision which I'll add to the original post as soon as it's ready.

Offline operative lm

• Raptor
  • T:REP 372
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2015, 11:48:09 AM »
This is just me being curious, but is Revision A different from the version you posted a few days ago? And would it be possible for you to write up some patch notes whenever you post a new version?

Offline Stinkee2

• Raptor
  • T:REP 242
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2015, 05:34:59 PM »
This is just me being curious, but is Revision A different from the version you posted a few days ago? And would it be possible for you to write up some patch notes whenever you post a new version?

Nope, it's the same build. And yes I can do that, good idea. The next revision is almost complete so I'll update the post probably later today with the new build and a change list.

Offline djdduty

• Iguana
  • T:REP 99
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 11, 2015, 06:04:21 PM »
Nope, it's the same build. And yes I can do that, good idea. The next revision is almost complete so I'll update the post probably later today with the new build and a change list.

I'm most likely going to break the repo later today / this weekend with all my changes to the UI Manager, so let me know if you want me to wait and create a build first. But if you've finished the new input code then I should be able to resolve the undoubtedly huge list of conflicts in a reasonable amount of time and rebuild with some ui stuff, I'm sure some ui statistics output would be useful to have and used for feedback. If you want I think we should just wait to make the build (to avoid updating constantly) for a little longer.

We might even be able to eliminate the command line arguments / needing to place the atr file in the binary directory with the inclusion of a state that asks for the turok path and a level selection list, but again it would push a build back into the weekend, it's up to you if you want to wait.

Offline Duke64

• Administrator
  • T:REP 6523
  • Sixty Four
    • View Profile
    • Duke64Nukem.com
« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2015, 12:42:20 PM »
Something I made for this out of fun.

I know its not there yet but I can dream :P

Keep up the good work!
Dinosaur Hunter
"Its time to make tracks"
"You are tiny grasshopper"
"Suck it down"
"Boo, No soup for you"
"Arrrgghhhh"
"I live again"

Offline Spartan

• Raptor
  • T:REP 376
  • PARTRIDGE METAL
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 12, 2015, 05:24:57 PM »
@Duke64: Well my friend, at least we are very close to that!
WHAT A LOVELY DAY!

Offline Froglegs

• Iguana
  • T:REP 39
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 12, 2015, 05:38:41 PM »
That looks great Duke! Hopefully we will be able to work with an editor soon! :D

Offline Duke64

• Administrator
  • T:REP 6523
  • Sixty Four
    • View Profile
    • Duke64Nukem.com
« Reply #57 on: September 13, 2015, 12:22:20 AM »
Yep and thanks to :P but even if it were to be unsuccessful I don't mind its already pretty cool viewing, but its like a teaser feels like its there hehe no pressure. But Stinkee showing up and trying his hardest and having help from djduty and encouragement from you all here is good enough :) Time is valuable hehe spending it on Turok.
Dinosaur Hunter
"Its time to make tracks"
"You are tiny grasshopper"
"Suck it down"
"Boo, No soup for you"
"Arrrgghhhh"
"I live again"

Offline Rok

• Global Moderator
  • T:REP 1968
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 14, 2015, 02:16:03 AM »
Well yeah a hole lot was done so quickly and we witnessed it. Awesome so far :D
Raptor Rok is metal.

Offline djdduty

• Iguana
  • T:REP 99
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 14, 2015, 03:11:45 AM »
Okay, quick update for you guys since it's now the end of the weekend.

Currently Stinkee and I are working on Silk (The rendering engine), and as that is the core of the viewer / editor it means direct improvements there as well. We are adding some much needed features and performance fixes. When a new build is posted an actual changelog will be made, but for now I'll tell you what we are working on, just to keep you in the loop. Throughout the week we finished up object Culling to cut down on the number of draw calls each frame and thus increase performance, it's not the most streamlined culling at the moment but it's much better than before. This weekend I started on re-doing the little UI code we had to make it in to something usable, I got a little carried away with it but we are back to a nice code interface, so UI stuff should be up and running quickly. Also we relocated some input management code so that we can more easily use that in the future. At this very moment Stinkee is finishing up a new feature, that is the post processing steps. This means that we can now add things like FXAA and other neat post processes, but might not affect T4Viewer so much beyond that.

Stinkee still has a long way to go on figuring out the various file formats, so exporting files might be a little while off. The next big improvements you guys should see are ui, importing files directly into the viewer rather than having to use command line arguments and weird file placement, and visual changes. Soon we will try to emulate the Turok lighting and make some more performance improvements as well. We're also going to move the Viewer into it's own repository that anyone is free to view and contribute to if you want, but we're waiting until we stop overhauling silk all the time as it would be a pain to have to constantly update the library binaries.

Anyway, sorry for the slow-ish weekend, time really does fly some times!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal