Author Topic: Arcade Turok  (Read 8753 times)

Offline Duke64

• Administrator
  • T:REP 6523
  • Sixty Four
    • View Profile
    • Duke64Nukem.com
Arcade Turok
« on: May 27, 2016, 03:38:38 PM »

I wanted to make a version of this game where it is more arcade like. More fast paced and the ability to jump higher and farther. I am aiming to make it feel less compressed and more free. As I did that I started thinking of other changes I could make. After making it faster I realized how I don’t like hiding behind rocks when the enemy soldiers are around so now we don't have to hide from them just go run & gun and take them out. Any suggestions or ideas for changes are welcome.

Here is my current change list it is simply notes as of now though rather then a correct change list. And I will update it as we go along. There are quite a few kinks with my changes that I have to work out.

Change list

Adjusted- Turoks groundspeed – (faster movement)
Adjusted- gravity – jump higher and farther.
Adjusted- Turoks health – Takes more damage- Makes hiding behind rocks pointless
Removed- stealth kill window/knife glory kill Must add it back in for lurkers and smaller dinos as the knife can’t reach them.
Adjusted- knife on screen position- see more of the knife
Adjusted- knife common attacks – much more powerful
Adjusted- Tekbow- more power, quicker fire rate
Removed- procedural weapon bobbing. *Missed the pulse rifle
Adjusted- human npc levels – slower and less health
Adjusted- raptors maul- created a larger time lapse between how many times a raptor mauls you.
Adjusted- raptor attack amounts- now 5 raptors will attack you at once instead of 3.
Adjusted- Comm voice repeat- We won’t hear our friendly soldiers saying “c’mon this way” 100 times while we explore.
Adjusted- minimum framerate from 30 to 60
Adjusted- Red screen Cool down time – made it shorter
*Adjusted- Tekbow groundspeed to match knife Ground Speed

Video preview (Will have to watch the hole thing to see multiple changes as I focused on specific changes and made this video pretty quickly. Hope you enjoy

To read more about this check this post
https://duke64nukem.com/2016/05/27/arcade-turok-turok-08-mod/
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 04:42:33 PM by Duke64 »
Dinosaur Hunter
"Its time to make tracks"
"You are tiny grasshopper"
"Suck it down"
"Boo, No soup for you"
"Arrrgghhhh"
"I live again"

Offline Rok

• Global Moderator
  • T:REP 1968
    • View Profile
Re: Arcade Turok
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 03:54:01 PM »
Makes me want to play I can dig those changes just making it faster alone is bad ass. Love it. And creating a longer time between when raptors maul you also speeds the game up cuz we wont have to stop gameplay and fight them off of us constantly. Great work all of it.
Raptor Rok is metal.

Offline Duke64

• Administrator
  • Sixty Four
    • View Profile
    • Duke64Nukem.com
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 04:41:48 PM »
Makes me want to play I can dig those changes just making it faster alone is bad ass. Love it. And creating a longer time between when raptors maul you also speeds the game up cuz we wont have to stop gameplay and fight them off of us constantly. Great work all of it.

Thanks dude I just did this so I could play the game again but in a different manner. Yes the raptor mauls are now a lot less frequent forcing us to battle them almost always. At first I made it to fast hahah like Sonic speeds. It was kind of fun saying wow now Turok is way to fast ;) But I adjusted it, its about right now. I will make a proper video soon when I get the time to.

Added new change list item. As you may know Turok goes faster while holding the knife and slower with other weapons. I changed the the tekbow groundspeed to match (nearly identical) to the knife ground speed. That way we can have the bow or knife out to travel even faster :)

« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 04:43:45 PM by Duke64 »
Dinosaur Hunter
"Suck it down"
"Boo, No soup for you"
"Arrrgghhhh"
"I live again"

Offline Son of Stone

• Raptor
  • T:REP 430
  • Keeping TUROK's memories alive!
    • View Profile
    • https://www.youtube.com/user/labi4sparta
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2016, 10:55:45 PM »

I wanted to make a version of this game where it is more arcade like. More fast paced and the ability to jump higher and farther. I am aiming to make it feel less compressed and more free. As I did that I started thinking of other changes I could make. After making it faster I realized how I don’t like hiding behind rocks when the enemy soldiers are around so now we don't have to hide from them just go run & gun and take them out. Any suggestions or ideas for changes are welcome.

Here is my current change list it is simply notes as of now though rather then a correct change list. And I will update it as we go along. There are quite a few kinks with my changes that I have to work out.

Change list

Adjusted- Turoks groundspeed – (faster movement)
Adjusted- gravity – jump higher and farther.
Adjusted- Turoks health – Takes more damage- Makes hiding behind rocks pointless
Removed- stealth kill window/knife glory kill Must add it back in for lurkers and smaller dinos as the knife can’t reach them.
Adjusted- knife on screen position- see more of the knife
Adjusted- knife common attacks – much more powerful
Adjusted- Tekbow- more power, quicker fire rate
Removed- procedural weapon bobbing. *Missed the pulse rifle
Adjusted- human npc levels – slower and less health
Adjusted- raptors maul- created a larger time lapse between how many times a raptor mauls you.
Adjusted- raptor attack amounts- now 5 raptors will attack you at once instead of 3.
Adjusted- Comm voice repeat- We won’t hear our friendly soldiers saying “c’mon this way” 100 times while we explore.
Adjusted- minimum framerate from 30 to 60
Adjusted- Red screen Cool down time – made it shorter
*Adjusted- Tekbow groundspeed to match knife Ground Speed

Video preview (Will have to watch the hole thing to see multiple changes as I focused on specific changes and made this video pretty quickly. Hope you enjoy

To read more about this check this post
https://duke64nukem.com/2016/05/27/arcade-turok-turok-08-mod/
I like it all Duke ;) From small beginnings come greatness. :P
Keeping TUROK's memories alive!

Offline Jay Doomed

• Global Moderator
  • T:REP 2632
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2016, 11:57:38 AM »
Seems a bit better imo yeah the game did need to be faster and Turok jumping higher is nice makes it look like exploring could be more fun. Good job and awesome photo for it :)
"Whatever it is, it doesn't belong in this world."

Offline Duke64

• Administrator
  • Sixty Four
    • View Profile
    • Duke64Nukem.com
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2016, 02:53:20 PM »
So basically Turok: Serious Sam 2 edition?

Yes that's not a bad example actually, I don't plan to do much more just tidy up what's here and make a little faster which will be easy. You can edit Turok 08 if you have the PC versions files, I think you asked on a Youtube comment Dinomite. Its no different then you would expect buddy just code lines opened in a notepad editor :)

Also, thanks guys it was real fun tinkering and seeing what things do I see myself opening it up again sometime.
Dinosaur Hunter
"Suck it down"
"Boo, No soup for you"
"Arrrgghhhh"
"I live again"

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal