Author Topic: Retexture  (Read 24868 times)

Offline Dakuwan

• Raptor
  • T:REP 253
    • View Profile
Retexture
« on: March 26, 2017, 12:22:58 PM »
Hey all, back again for retexture  round two. I am much more excited about this version due to the advanced(for the time) model deformation and stretching that goes on, making the characters looks much more believable. There are over 3500 textures in T2, so it is going to take awhile. I intend on staying within lore and style of the original, however updating with the highest resolution version sampled from real life that I can. If i cannot find a suitable reference, I will make one from parts.

Typical resolution for T2 textures tends to be from 32x32 to 128x128... Mine never goes below 1000x1000. Even higher in most cases. It is meant to be viewed/played on resolution higher than HD 1920x1080 to avoid jaggies, since there is so much detail.

I will update this thread with new batches of pics from Imgur once or twice a week. Once I finish Port of Adia, I will release a publicly available mod so that anyone can give it a go.

Please, tell me what you think. I do want feedback. Not only does it help me create accurate images, but it also feeds my soul, and powers me to keep on going.

Thanks alot for checking it out! I love you Turok community...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following is a what I have completed thus far, started 2 days after release...

http://imgur.com/a/ZWpJZ

http://imgur.com/a/1nj7u

http://imgur.com/a/wAgIc

http://imgur.com/a/zUIhw

Offline Old One Eye

• Raptor
  • T:REP 424
    • View Profile
Re: Retexture
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 01:16:52 PM »
Some of the textures (especially the Endtrails) look pretty good.  I think the human faces are just a little too creepy though.  Kinda entering the uncanny valley there. :)
"It's gotta be... THE GOAD!!"

Offline Badger

• Endtrail
  • T:REP 772
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 10:29:09 PM »
I like what I'm seeing! Welcome back! I'd like to see more of Turok 1 retexture as well, me and a lot of other people would like to see a release of that thing! I was afraid it was lost for good :(

Offline Mon-Ark

• Raptor
  • T:REP 420
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 01:20:59 PM »
Is there any way to make high-res versions of the default textures? that would look really nice

Offline Jay Doomed

• Global Moderator
  • T:REP 2632
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 01:28:54 PM »
Is there any way to make high-res versions of the default textures? that would look really nice

It would be extremely hard would take someone very skilled to actually have the original textures bumped in resolution. Anyways, looks pretty cool the end trail is vicious looking.
"Whatever it is, it doesn't belong in this world."

Offline Dakuwan

• Raptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 09:12:20 AM »
Thanks everyone,

Regarding the increased resolution of default textures, I did it for T1 just to see what it looked like. While looking at a stationary image, it does look a little better, however due to the rapid nature of these games the payoff in both time spent upscaling the images and the work the PC has to do to display an image is not worth it, in my opinion. Which is why I opted for using real life textures as often as possible.

The high resolution images looked a little wonky in T1 because of the low poly models, but in T2, there are alot more polygons and sweet skin stretching... I remember watching a video on the internet before T2 was released back in the day showcasing the skin deformation, it was an incredible effect for the time.

Just so everyone understands how I am going about doing this project. The first draft of the textures may not have seamless edges for tiled images, and will not have color correction. When I get closer to finishing a level I will tweak them as necessary to look more uniform and closer to the original games colors.

Old One Eye, Turok and Adon  were my first experiments in adding textures, they do indeed look a little weird. Its the geometry of the model thats causing them to look silly. Josh(Dolph Lundgren)s mouth ends up getting bent in the middle making it look like he is smiling, the reference image I edited, he is not smiling. Adon I used the Child-like Empress from Never Ending Story, and no good high res images of her exist of her at the proper angle. I will change all that later. For now they are placeholders.

Nearly done "port" part of Adia images coming later today.

Offline Old One Eye

• Raptor
  • T:REP 424
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2017, 04:19:03 PM »
Looking forward to seeing the port area re-textured.

PS:  I'm glad that Joshua and Adon aren't final! :P
"It's gotta be... THE GOAD!!"

Offline Dakuwan

• Raptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2017, 08:15:23 PM »
So I tried Xsplitter to stream some Retex, got horrid quality. Gonna try a couple more things tonight to get around the super poor pixelated mess. Either way, new pics later.

If anyone wants to view a broadcast via Steam, add "dakuwan", avatard is Doom monsters drawn by my little girl.

Frogs... The reason little girl dinosaurs can become little boy dinosaurs...

Anyone have suggestion who should play Josh and Adon?

Offline Dakuwan

• Raptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2017, 12:04:43 PM »
Rough week... Xsplit sucked balls and wouldnt stream in a tolerable quality. OBS finally works on my rig now.

I got about half of the tex for the port of Adia done, raptoid, endtrail, pistol, shotty, wooden bow and this is a preview of those...

REMEMBER: No texture color correction, or seamless are done yet, and I run a retarded Reshade config.

Offline Dakuwan

• Raptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2017, 12:24:51 AM »
Hey Dino, is this what you mean?

http://imgur.com/a/xG0wH

If so that just another example of how they took some short cuts when making some of these textures. Who ever did this originally is the "Painted a Erect Penis into the Little Mermaid Cover" to me, since I am getting very familiar with them and how they wrap on the model themselves. I could look into pushing and pulling some things around eventually to make it less obvious.

The pistol model for pickup is ridiculous, which can also been seen in the link. I could probably go and change the related material files, but that is just another distraction from the retexture work, which is going to be awhile.

It would be great if I had a list of all related tex .png names and the levels they are used in( I know they are located in the material files). Would save me so much tex hunting through 3,000+ images...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal