Author Topic: Changes in Youtube and what it means for Turok videos  (Read 24978 times)

Offline Badger

• Endtrail
  • T:REP 772
    • View Profile
Changes in Youtube and what it means for Turok videos
« on: November 20, 2019, 10:23:48 PM »
If you've been surfing around Youtube recently, you might have noticed that the ToS is changing on December 10th of this year, and that COPPA is taking effect January 1st of next year. I was VERY hesitant to make this thread, as I would love to think nothing will happen to Turok videos (or any type of video) on Youtube would be in jeopardy. But, obviously this is the case, and while absolutely no Turok videos could be affected next year, we have NO idea what really is going to happen over time. So, I would like to bring attention to this issue.

There are 2 main changes that are floating in the air.

One is that Youtube will be able to take down any channel it wants to. There has been alot of bad information going around about this, mostly stemming from Youtube's claims that it will only take down "features with low usage".

This is false. If you read the actual ToS, it says the following:

As you may see, the "Service" pertains to the whole platform collectively meaning ALL of Youtube. It does not matter what Youtube intends to do with this *right now*, from here on out, it is open season on every channel as far as the ToS is concerned.

The other issue is COPPA, which some people think it affects videos that are directed towards kids. This is also false.

The law is so vague that video games such as Call of Duty, Doom, and Turok can easily fall under COPPA simply because kids might play them! And while this is a U.S. law, Youtube being based in the U.S. would have to remove videos uploaded from other countries that are not COPPA compliant.

Again, I'm not trying to raise alarm saying all (or any) of the Turok videos are going to be wiped out. What I am saying, though, is now is the time to start archiving and preserving them, because we do not know what is going to happen to Youtube when all these changes start rolling through.

Thank you for taking the time to listen to my rant. Hopefully if you're a video creator that has Turok videos on youtube that you have a backup of them on your computer.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 10:32:26 PM by Badger »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal