Author Topic: multiplayer modding question [solved]  (Read 6527 times)

Offline Snake Plissken

• Endtrail
  • T:REP 675
    • View Profile
multiplayer modding question [solved]
« on: August 19, 2017, 01:05:29 PM »
I place two DMplayerstart actors onto a custom map that's uv'ed with walkable spaces for the players. I start the server up with the params pointing at the map lineup including my map and another time just my map.

when I go to connect to the server it insta sends me back to the main menu.

anyone know how I can fix this so I can move onto both learning the multiplayer inviroment and testing my maps i have already created in a multiplayer inviroment?

how come it insta sends me to the main menu when I try to connect?

any advice will help I thank you very much for any of your replys.

edit: no error logs, no messages, just backs me out to the main menu screen...
?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 10:52:39 AM by Snake Plissken »

Offline BehemothProgrammer

• Endtrail
  • T:REP 791
    • View Profile
Re: multiplayer modding question [help]
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 09:47:50 PM »
If it's putting you back to the main menu there must be an error message at least in the console. See what it's saying there to understand what's wrong. But my guess is that your in developer mode. To test maps in multiplayer you must make sure you are not in developer mode (developer 0)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 09:48:36 PM by BehemothProgrammer »
Turok 2 Co-Op Mod

QTurok | Turok: Mountain of the Sun | WolfenTurok 3D | and more...

Offline Edward850

• Nightdive Devs
  • T:REP 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 01:14:03 AM »
If it's putting you back to the main menu there must be an error message at least in the console. See what it's saying there to understand what's wrong. But my guess is that your in developer mode. To test maps in multiplayer you must make sure you are not in developer mode (developer 0)
Him being in developer mode seems to be the case (at least it makes sense with the symptoms). Normally an error message shows up, but because of another bug fix the error message is being removed before it's displayed. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

Note that you can play multiplayer while in developer mode, just not network multiplayer. Local splitscreen will work and can even be launched using the testsplitscreen CCMD (2 optional args, # local players and a map to load, so "testsplitscreen 4 levels/mp/city-4.map" will start a 4 local-player game on that map).
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 01:17:16 AM by Edward850 »

Offline Snake Plissken

• Endtrail
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 06:42:50 PM »

I've been in developer mode. Thanks so much BP. Boy oh boy when I get home I'll test and reply thanks

Offline Snake Plissken

• Endtrail
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2017, 06:47:50 PM »
Him being in developer mode seems to be the case (at least it makes sense with the symptoms). Normally an error message shows up, but because of another bug fix the error message is being removed before it's displayed. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

Note that you can play multiplayer while in developer mode, just not network multiplayer. Local splitscreen will work and can even be launched using the testsplitscreen CCMD (2 optional args, # local players and a map to load, so "testsplitscreen 4 levels/mp/city-4.map" will start a 4 local-player game on that map).

All the devices are on a local area network and all have developer mode enabled. Can't wait to get home to test this out. Splitscreen sounds intresting. Off topic but I wounder if I can get a splitscreen game in a dedicated hosted match.

Wow I can't thank you guys enough. Progress will go so fast once I get home and solve this presumably by turning developer mode off. Thanks alot edward. And bp

Offline Edward850

• Nightdive Devs
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2017, 07:16:38 PM »
Off topic but I wounder if I can get a splitscreen game in a dedicated hosted match.
Yes, in fact it was one of the advertised features. Hosting and joining any games (regardless of network service) allows for splitscreen players in the same session. The local players option isn't avalible in all lobby modes for no reason. ;)
From a technical standpoint, it actually makes no sense not to support it, as the player/node systems are mutually exclusive; A node controls a player, and a player controls a node, but there is nothing that suggests that a node and player are the same thing. In fact a dedicated server is a node with no players, so splitscreen is just a node with multiple players.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 07:22:55 PM by Edward850 »

Offline Snake Plissken

• Endtrail
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 12:45:10 PM »
Off topic but I wounder if I can get a splitscreen game in a dedicated hosted match.
Yes, in fact it was one of the advertised features. Hosting and joining any games (regardless of network service) allows for splitscreen players in the same session. The local players option isn't avalible in all lobby modes for no reason. ;)
From a technical standpoint, it actually makes no sense not to support it, as the player/node systems are mutually exclusive; A node controls a player, and a player controls a node, but there is nothing that suggests that a node and player are the same thing. In fact a dedicated server is a node with no players, so splitscreen is just a node with multiple players.

So unless my train of thought is off, can there be more then 4 playersplitscreen. What about 16 player splitscreen.
Jk but that was the comment of the year like high thinking edward I liked the way it went. Smart thought

Offline Snake Plissken

• Endtrail
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2017, 12:47:15 PM »
I tested it when I got home and it work I could connect but seems like only that one time now I'm getting on next startup since, a keyhash error showing my ragewars.kpf mod displayed twice.

I'm pretty sure all I did after the successful test was turn my computer off, letting the auto shutdown close all windows, turn my computer back on the next day, started the server and started my game.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 12:47:50 PM by Snake Plissken »

Offline Edward850

• Nightdive Devs
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2017, 12:51:19 AM »
So unless my train of thought is off, can there be more then 4 playersplitscreen. What about 16 player splitscreen.
There could be 16, nothing technically stops it, but the limit is statically compiled to 4. It would also require 16 generic Direct Input controllers, as XInput (Xbox controllers) has a hard-limit of 4.

I tested it when I got home and it work I could connect but seems like only that one time now I'm getting on next startup since, a keyhash error showing my ragewars.kpf mod displayed twice.
That means you are loading the mod twice. Don't do that. Remember, if something is in your mods folder, it is automatically loaded; loading it again manually will just load it again.

Offline Snake Plissken

• Endtrail
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2017, 10:09:55 AM »
There could be 16, nothing technically stops it, but the limit is statically compiled to 4. It would also require 16 generic Direct Input controllers, as XInput (Xbox controllers) has a hard-limit of 4.

That means you are loading the mod twice. Don't do that. Remember, if something is in your mods folder, it is automatically loaded; loading it again manually will just load it again.

opps thanks. I was loading one time like you said and again by -file all fixed

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal