Author Topic: Turok Level Editor  (Read 147695 times)

Offline Stinkee2

• Raptor
  • T:REP 242
    • View Profile
Re: Turok ATR viewer/exporter
« Reply #90 on: October 03, 2015, 03:26:58 AM »
Speaking of the lighting, I have a question for either or both of you: how broken is the PC version's lighting? It's something that's always bugged me. All of the foliage looks like it's fullbright, the muzzle flashes don't reflect onto the environment, and some textures, like the temples in Chapter 6, are glowing pretty obnoxiously. The console versions don't have these problems. So I'm wondering, since you guys are poking around in the game's files anyway, what's different with the PC version? Was it that there was some code that never made it during the porting process, or is something just not checked to "yes"? :P

Judging from some information I've found in the shader files (Turok/data/effects/) I'd say that the lighting is very limited in terms of functionality. It seems to me that even though they have files and naming conventions that suggest they have support for point lights, the shader code I've seen and the files I've analyzed suggest that, in the PC version at least, there is only directional lighting and ambient lighting. I think I also saw something about "self luminance" somewhere, and if that's the case then I'd imagine that's a factor behind that building lighting up. Otherwise my next guess would be a light map error. I'll post more information about this investigation into the lighting methods once I discover it.

EDIT: Also, I think maybe Revision A was re-uploaded in place of Revision B. Unless I'm just missing something, which is entirely possible. :V
Does it select things when you click on them? I am almost certain that I uploaded the correct file. I'll test it once I get back to my PC.

Offline Stinkee2

• Raptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 03, 2015, 02:35:48 PM »
Alright, so the revision B I uploaded was indeed a copy of revision A, I fixed it in the first post, here's the link http://www.mediafire.com/download/rdy7fc0wpej9l7c/T4Viewer%283%29.zip

I have rewritten the loading code now that I understand the format a little better than when I started, and now all of the data that can be understood can easily be modified and saved to the .ATI files (where the actor transforms and other actor instance specific data is located).

And more good news: from the looks of it, the actor variables data structure contains A LOT of meaningful data that can easily be manipulated once we write the UI code.
Here are some examples of data that can now be modified:
-The maximum radius around an object that sounds emitted from it can be heard from
-"Close range distance", seems to be only present in enemy actor variables, possibly the maximum distance that melee attacks will be successful with
-Health (health at spawn maybe?)
-Maximum health
-Whether or not the actor ignores the player
-Whether or not the actor will attack when "provoked"
-"FDMULT", possibly damage multiplier?
-"COLLIDES", possibly whether or not the actor is included in the physics simulation
-"ALWAYSRUN", possibly whether or not the actor runs everywhere rather than walks
-Rotation speed around the y axis, used for ammo and other pickups which normally rotate slowly above the ground
-Light color
-Light intensity

Here is a list of actor data for anyone interested in seeing where I'm getting all of this from: http://m.uploadedit.com/ba3k/1443897237976.txt

Edit:
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 05:50:56 PM by Stinkee2 »

Offline Duke64

• Administrator
  • T:REP 6523
  • Sixty Four
    • View Profile
    • Duke64Nukem.com
« Reply #92 on: October 05, 2015, 08:33:19 PM »
From what I know things are moving great here instead of just viewing it, you can interact and trust me just looking at models is a big tease I know. Interacting is a great sign. I really look forward to the stuff you are implementing. Thanks because I really would make some levels for sure keep it up. But the project has been very interesting to follow so far :)

Did you post them yourself there? These guys are funny here :P
Dinosaur Hunter
"Its time to make tracks"
"You are tiny grasshopper"
"Suck it down"
"Boo, No soup for you"
"Arrrgghhhh"
"I live again"

Offline Stinkee2

• Raptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 05, 2015, 10:57:42 PM »
From what I know things are moving great here instead of just viewing it, you can interact and trust me just looking at models is a big tease I know. Interacting is a great sign. I really look forward to the stuff you are implementing. Thanks because I really would make some levels for sure keep it up. But the project has been very interesting to follow so far :)

Did you post them yourself there? These guys are funny here :P

I placed them there just for fun. Also, I think I now have the ability to actually add other actors to a level. My next updates will be to the UI. I plan to add a nice scrollable view of every actor in the game. Something like this:

That could be used to select actors to add to a level. This is fine for editing existing levels, but it won't get REALLY interesting until I find a way to import meshes from 3D editors to make new objects and new levels.

Offline operative lm

• Raptor
  • T:REP 372
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 06, 2015, 12:29:35 AM »
I'm hoping I'm not showing you anything you don't already know about, but I noticed that sometimes the Viewer decides that it only wants to render the part of the model that is furthest away from the camera. I don't really know how else to explain it other than saying that the nearest faces turn invisible.

As some examples, this is from pod02_03_flighttraining, and this is from pod01_01_ttjungle (it's way more noticeable when you're actually floating around the model). Again, sorry if you already knew about this, but I thought that I'd bring it to your attention.

Also, I'm super excited for a Garry's Mod-esque actor menu.

Offline Stinkee2

• Raptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 06, 2015, 12:37:08 AM »
I'm hoping I'm not showing you anything you don't already know about, but I noticed that sometimes the Viewer decides that it only wants to render the part of the model that is furthest away from the camera. I don't really know how else to explain it other than saying that the nearest faces turn invisible.

As some examples, this is from pod02_03_flighttraining, and this is from pod01_01_ttjungle (it's way more noticeable when you're actually floating around the model). Again, sorry if you already knew about this, but I thought that I'd bring it to your attention.

Also, I'm super excited for a Garry's Mod-esque actor menu.

No need to be sorry, feedback is important. I didn't realize that it was that way until after I uploaded it. It's a very simple fix and I think djdduty may have already fixed it as it doesn't look that way for me anymore. That was my fault I think, I was messing with glCullFace and forgot to clean up after myself.

Once I implement a better method of moving objects around I'll upload another build.

Offline Stinkee2

• Raptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 07, 2015, 12:27:55 AM »
I Dont wanna sound weird but could you possibly do a test of the maximum actor limit in a level by placing a HUGE amount of monkeys in the level and firing it up later?

That'll make for a great screenshot. Though, recent discoveries lead me to believe that there is no limit on the number of actors other than available RAM. I do want to do that now just because, once I implement the ability to add/duplicate actors.

Also, here are some screenshots of the UI I've been working on:

The values you see are not yet editable, but they provide some neat insights to how the game works.
In the future these values will be easily changeable by clicking on them and just entering a new value. They will also be saved to the level to be tested with the game.

After that, a better move/scale/rotate tool, and the ability to add/delete actors I think it would be accurate to say that the project is more than half way completed.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 12:58:17 AM by Stinkee2 »

Offline Jay Doomed

• Global Moderator
  • T:REP 2632
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 07, 2015, 03:07:32 PM »
Closer and closer man keep it up. This is really awesome it just gets better each time dude. You know I bet people could even edit an existing map in the game and change it so much that it would be hard to notice just saying :) But the UI system looks user friendly, I mean just the look of it seems simple your really good at this stuff seriously.

haha lmao got to admit its crazy seeing that you are able to move actors around as your own will.
"Whatever it is, it doesn't belong in this world."

Offline Adon

• Protector
  • T:REP 910
  • Mystical
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 07, 2015, 03:35:12 PM »

Also, here are some screenshots of the UI I've been working on:

The values you see are not yet editable, but they provide some neat insights to how the game works.
In the future these values will be easily changeable by clicking on them and just entering a new value. They will also be saved to the level to be tested with the game.
After that, a better move/scale/rotate tool, and the ability to add/delete actors I think it would be accurate to say that the project is more than half way completed.

Excuse me if I don't sound to bright UI is user interface right and allows you to control many aspects of how the level and actors operate? Sorry not the best on knowledge on programming or developing games. But I am learning because of people on this forum :P Anyway love how it looks now.
I AM ADON

Offline Stinkee2

• Raptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 07, 2015, 04:13:28 PM »
Excuse me if I don't sound to bright UI is user interface right and allows you to control many aspects of how the level and actors operate? Sorry not the best on knowledge on programming or developing games. But I am learning because of people on this forum :P Anyway love how it looks now.

Correct, UI is user interface. Really I should be calling it a GUI since it's graphical, but I figure UI sounds cooler and isn't incorrect. Welcome to the amazing world of programming. Let me know if I can help at all.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal