Author Topic: DOOM  (Read 328422 times)

Offline Jay Doomed

• Global Moderator
  • T:REP 2632
    • View Profile
Re: DOOM
« Reply #220 on: August 09, 2016, 09:55:23 AM »
It could be two things..

If you copy pasted the switch and door that means it might have the same tag number? If it has the same tag number it might highlight both sectors and all sectors involved with that tag. Change the tag number.

Or when you copy paste a sector sometimes the editor recognizes that and for easier purposes it makes it the same sector. In 2D mode press "M" for "Make Sectors" and click on each sector you want to separate. Make sectors takes sectors that are combined and separates them to be there own. This one probably won't work if the tag is the same on them though.
"Whatever it is, it doesn't belong in this world."

Offline AbyssalDragon86

• Endtrail
  • T:REP 926
  • Lord of The Abyss
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #221 on: August 09, 2016, 10:14:18 AM »
It could be two things..

If you copy pasted the switch and door that means it might have the same tag number? If it has the same tag number it might highlight both sectors and all sectors involved with that tag. Change the tag number.

Or when you copy paste a sector sometimes the editor recognizes that and for easier purposes it makes it the same sector. In 2D mode press "M" for "Make Sectors" and click on each sector you want to separate. Make sectors takes sectors that are combined and separates them to be there own. This one probably won't work if the tag is the same on them though.

I didn't copy and paste, I just made it the same way and looked at reference. "2301" was my random tag number. xD I think I messed up the section on the switch, that was probably why. I'm going to try it again and if I can't get it right, I'll come back to it later in the day because it's just after midnight.

Offline Jay Doomed

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 09, 2016, 10:40:28 AM »
Be sure to try and click on "M" in the 2d mode its make sectors mode you just click on each sector that is highlighting more than one it makes them separate sectors :)

Offline AbyssalDragon86

• Endtrail
  • Lord of The Abyss
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #223 on: August 09, 2016, 11:16:09 AM »
I did that. The lines highlighted this time, but now the switch wasn't working again and it's like the textures were the other way. I had the pegs the same way around, though. It was starting to annoy me and it's getting late. I'll try again later. I might even practice on a new map or area, so I don't have so much stuff causing me confusion.

I've been awake for more than 12 hours. But thanks, because I didn't know you could separate sections that easy. I was doing it the slow way. xD

Offline Jay Doomed

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 09, 2016, 11:32:37 AM »
Oh yeah make sectors mode can surely help I hope you get it still really want to see that map dude doesn't got to be perfection you know it is a first map it looks damn good for a first map really. Seems like its not the first xD

Duke I know you are finished with another Doom 64 map when you going to post it xD Hope you post it soon going to be really cool playing with Turok textures. Where are you at on the Hell's Keep project though?

Brutal Doom 64 pic not posted here yet guys ;)

« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 11:33:51 AM by Jay Doomed »

Offline Revenant32

• Raptor
  • T:REP 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #225 on: August 09, 2016, 03:35:31 PM »
Really cool stuff here.

Offline AbyssalDragon86

• Endtrail
  • Lord of The Abyss
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #226 on: August 10, 2016, 12:58:08 AM »
I found a video on switches. I haven't watched it all yet, but I saw some of it and pretty much looks like what I've done from the guide.

Sometimes for me, watching videos are easier to follow because I can see every little click and how the lines were exactly drawn. The guide is still helpful and I've remembered a lot of the steps. I noticed one line of the sides of the working switch had no peg between the two vertices, as if one vertex wasn't snapped to the line... Also, that line is green.

Yeah, I put a lot of effort into the look of things, even when it's my first. That's probably another reason why I've made it harder for myself... xD I wanted the previews to look good and I treat this as the same as art.

Offline AbyssalDragon86

• Endtrail
  • Lord of The Abyss
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #227 on: August 10, 2016, 10:59:08 AM »
HalleFUCKINGlujah!

I made a practice map and followed that video. I did make a mistake, but realized that I had the tag set to "2" and not "1" like I followed. The "2" was meant to be the door action. xD

It worked. Also,  I figured out how to un-peg the textures under and above the switch. That's why I made it the blood texture on my map, because I couldn't get it even with the wall.

Speaking of "Unpegged"... That door method did work this time. My map is strange, so that's why I had problems. Also, my rooms aren't done on solid "Impassable" lines... I think that's why things are not functioning properly. The only Impassable Linedefs were the outline shape that was made to look like my icon. I don't really feel like changing all my Linedefs because it might ruin some of the features, but I'll see if I can do a fix...

I think I made a huge nooby blunder! xD

Anyway, I'll keep this practice map and see if I can make another switch, without a guide. I have to remember this, like all the other stuff I've learned. It is a bit more complicated than the doors.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 10:59:41 AM by AbyssalDragon86 »

Offline Duke64

• Administrator
  • T:REP 6523
  • Sixty Four
    • View Profile
    • Duke64Nukem.com
« Reply #228 on: August 10, 2016, 11:08:23 PM »
HalleFUCKINGlujah!

Yaay good job getting the switch :) Yeah from here you probably only get a better understanding of a switch as long as you make some more. Good job though halefuckinglujah hehe.

Duke I know you are finished with another Doom 64 map when you going to post it xD Hope you post it soon going to be really cool playing with Turok textures. Where are you at on the Hell's Keep project though?
Just released DoomRok last night. Yeah I'm working on Hell's Keep now that I am finished with this should return it possibly around Tuesday if my time is good some time next week I send it back to you. If it goes really well I will send it to you after the weekend.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 11:26:59 PM by Duke64 »
Dinosaur Hunter
"Its time to make tracks"
"You are tiny grasshopper"
"Suck it down"
"Boo, No soup for you"
"Arrrgghhhh"
"I live again"

Offline AbyssalDragon86

• Endtrail
  • Lord of The Abyss
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #229 on: August 11, 2016, 09:20:45 AM »
Yeah, I just tried a second switch that activates the same door and got it working just like that. I think I've got this, now.

I'll have to try on my Abyss map and see if I can do it this easily. I have to remember that most of my map is deep (hence the map name) and also the fact that my rooms aren't really separated by Impassable Linedefs. I'm sure that doesn't matter, though?

I can also set a lower texture and raise the little rectangle ceiling by two scrolls, but I'll do it the way the video showed normally. All I know is that my second map will be more improved, once this is done.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal