Author Topic: TUROK developer is starting a new dino thing!  (Read 71902 times)

Offline gameBeard

• Iguana
  • T:REP 16
    • View Profile
Re: TUROK developer is starting a new dino thing!
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2015, 02:45:43 PM »
So I hear the raptors could possibly hunt in packs ? That reminds me of a scene from the first Jurassic Park when he is scaring the kid hehe.

So may I ask what type of game this will be ? Open world survivor ?
hi Rok this Turok designer said that it's anew graphic novel first that we're going to help him get off the ground. Then when its successful he can make a game out of it.

i saw this on another forum
I'm more concerned with a dinosaur title that put the terror of being surrounded by predators who can easily kill you, along with item/inventory management. Dino Crisis was great at keeping you on your toes, juggling health vs ammo (although not the hardcore extent I'd prefer, but anyways), bleeding out...

Addition of destructible environments so the dinosaurs can actually smash through windows and doors, necessitating the use of barricades. Someone suggested that you feel like you're constantly playing that raptor chase with the kids at the end of Jurassic Park. Raptors that actually hunt using pack AI (we were working heavily on this in T2) and attempt to outsmart you. The player should be absolutely terrified of them - wandering around a jungle environment, hearing the rustles in the grass as unseen creatures dash around me, and that slow groin-tightening realization that you are the one being hunted. Using any environmental element to help you escape.

Opportunities for exploration as well as interaction, Endless Ocean style. I've got more thoughts on this.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=165273300&postcount=77

Offline Rok

• Global Moderator
  • T:REP 1968
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2015, 03:27:45 PM »
Well I already hit support I think it was the first day. Thats because I love dinosaurs and shooting games(Turok) Plus the image used is very comical which is my biggest hobby (Turok comics) I understand its a game in planning but I would like to know some more details on it. I do not go on neogaf or any forums because I find them to be a waste of time and they have jerks lurking everywhere. Before this forum I was pretty much non existent in any community. So I do not see any posts on other places. Thanks for adding a quote because I refuse to follow any forum links.

I just thought it was sounding similar to the Primal Hunter game. Which I hope its not because the game was fun but it just wasn't all the way there it made me feel a huge void from weapons to enemie AI and lack of dinosaurs.

If game does go through (it is at 82/100 supporters and I know I could add 5 more in one day) Will there be many many dinos or just a few?
Raptor Rok is metal.

Offline Adon

• Protector
  • T:REP 910
  • Mystical
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2015, 03:51:18 PM »
I do not go on neogaf or any forums because I find them to be a waste of time and they have jerks lurking everywhere. Before this forum I was pretty much non existent in any community. So I do not see any posts on other places. Thanks for adding a quote because I refuse to follow any forum links.

xD

I completely understand the feeling Rok you are my buddy on here I also don't go to any other forums I simply don't have the time and when I do I want to check up on my Turok buddies. I just think they do not know the answers to some of your questions yet hehe don't get frustrated :P.
I AM ADON

Offline Likes To Fight

• Iguana
  • T:REP 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2015, 04:37:06 PM »
Hey Turok fans! I'm just stopping by again to share some good news (We're at 92% and counting, so join up if you haven't already so we can hit 100%!! https://www.thunderclap.it/projects/26923-savage-empire-kickstarter) and also share some new art

while answering a couple of questions for you!

Types of Dinosaurs - I want to cover as many different types as possible. While developing Turok 2008, we were dealing with some teething issues on Unreal Engine 3 as it was very early in SDK development (that's the software development kit that Epic provides to Unreal licensees). Those issues were smoothed out eventually, but the amount of resources originally envisioned for creature models, rigging, animation, textures etc had to drop a bit. Mini-raptors (compys), velociraptors, diplos, allosaurus, various herbivores and of course the T-Rex made it in, but my game...if I get the support to push this project through...will cover a much larger swathe of dinosaurs,

Another quote I had regarding my approach to creature AI (one of my responsibilities at Propaganda)

You're both firmly aligned with the groundwork that was being done on creature AI, beyond the rudimentary version introduced in T1. An approximation of a working ecosystem, with pawns (what I'll refer to them as for now) motivated typical elements such as
  • hunger
  • team proximity (packs)
  • threat proximity
  • injuries
Far and beyond the typical see > chase > attack.

Figuring out how these stack together and feed into each other - and then visual demonstrating those stages in a clear manner - was one of the design tasks our team was tackling. What you're asking for is something that I wholeheartedly believe in. Implementing responsive AI also adds to replayability which is another central pillar of design for me.

This is where a more exploratory approach can pay dividends. There's little room for AI to flourish in a more linear gameplay type, but a wider, more open world approach now provides a sandbox where your character has the opportunity to create meaningful impact on the world beyond killing something.

Imagine your character is injured and bleeding, being tracked. You move slowly towards a drinking pond where herbivores are minding their business - to fulfill their need for water, not a pre-scripted event - doing your utmost not to spook them. Raptors burst through the trees and a stampede is triggered, damaging the pack and acting as a blind for your to dip underwater to lose the scent. You reappear on the other side of the water, only to realize that you're covered in leeches...

There was a rudimentary version of this in T1, where you could use the flare from the shotgun to drive dinosaur attention towards human enemies and then let them take each other out while you took advantage of the situation, either by sneaking past or picking off stragglers. This would be the next evolutionary step.

I hope you guys find this stuff interesting, and if you've supported the Thunderclap campaign, please encourage a friend or two to do the same. We can close out 100% by tonight and I'll be posting two more images on my Twitter feed tomorrow if we make it  ;D

Thank you!

Offline Rok

• Global Moderator
  • T:REP 1968
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2015, 05:20:41 PM »
Thanks Adon made me laugh pretty hard at my own post lol. I just wanted to know a few more things about it but I dont want to click to neogaf because I dont even know what it is maybe I am living under a Rok ;) I wasnt upset though apoligize if it seemed that way.

What I wanted to know is answered now. That sounds really great I can image some more of what this is like. I like where you aim towards for the dino AI atleast you have big goals for such. Also does anyone know if his artist buddy from Turok is the one who is drawing these comic like pictures of it ? If so +rep to whoever it is.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 05:23:24 PM by Rok »
Raptor Rok is metal.

Offline Duke64

• Administrator
  • T:REP 6523
  • Sixty Four
    • View Profile
    • Duke64Nukem.com
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2015, 11:11:29 PM »
I agree the art work is nice and thanks for including a special thanks to our forum here in that update tab, that is great and its nice because I watched this thing go up since 17 supporters I followed it and telling people to check it out. Wanted to let you know I supported the hole way was a fun but quick ride ;)

Congrats for reaching over your goal so far and still counting with 5 days left lol.

Feel free to keep us updated.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 11:24:29 PM by Duke64 »
Dinosaur Hunter
"Its time to make tracks"
"You are tiny grasshopper"
"Suck it down"
"Boo, No soup for you"
"Arrrgghhhh"
"I live again"

Offline The_EyeofTurok

• Iguana
  • T:REP 121
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2015, 10:57:49 AM »
Nice looking I supported this to a few days back :) In hopes for a good Dino game.
They are watching

Offline Adon

• Protector
  • Mystical
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2015, 12:03:38 PM »
I have a small question about the game so do you plan for it to be an FPS game ? I never played Black Hawk Down before but I did google search it looks like it is an FPS but it doesn't really say anywhere if Savage Empire plans to be an FPS or not. I do like the name Savage Empire has a ring to it :)
I AM ADON

Offline operative lm

• Raptor
  • T:REP 372
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2015, 12:41:41 PM »
Hope I'm not steppin' on any toes here, but I can answer this! It's been said elsewhere that it'll be a third-person game.

Offline Adon

• Protector
  • Mystical
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2015, 12:48:25 PM »
Hmm that's a bummer for me :/ Still sounds like a cool game I am just curious anyway gives some thing else to talk about. Anyway if I ever do get some time to play games it will surely be Turok 2 Seed of Evil but maybe my kids can play this one :)
I AM ADON

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal