Author Topic: Turok Level Editor  (Read 147659 times)

Offline Adon

• Protector
  • T:REP 910
  • Mystical
    • View Profile
Re: Turok ATR viewer/exporter
« Reply #70 on: September 29, 2015, 10:52:00 AM »
I bet they already thought of putting older versions in archives or something similar ;) But yeah it is a good idea.
I AM ADON

Offline Snowball

• Iguana
  • T:REP 9
  • shining bright on moonless night that is Cocaine
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 29, 2015, 05:16:12 PM »
I like someone does this to turok 2 to. i would do if i knew anything about programing but i don't  :'(

Offline Stinkee2

• Raptor
  • T:REP 242
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 29, 2015, 08:54:58 PM »
Hello everyone, sorry for the lack of activity.. The lacktivity. I am just experiencing a little bit of a side effect of too many programming binges too close together. When I spend too much time in the zone it is kind of hard to get back into it once I take a short break. It's been slowish. As djdduty said, we've been working on the renderer lately. We haven't forgotten about the Turok viewer, though. I don't have much to offer you in terms of progress on the viewer, but I have two screenshots of a turok level using our new deferred renderer with SSAO and antialiasing enabled. It doesn't mean much for this project, but it's kind of interesting to see how things look. These by default will not be enabled for the viewer when I release it, since it would not be accurately displaying the Turok level as it will appear in game, however if anyone would like I could make it possible to enable post processing effects.

Here are those two scenes again without using any post processing:

There are obviously some erroneous regions of those images, but it's still in the works.
I won't make any promises for later this week because I know how time just slips away from me, but expect the next update to have some new features that everyone can enjoy.

I Think you should archive old versions of the program. Alot of old programs and games did it like for example Sonic Robo Blast 2.
By that do you mean the code? We use a code repository for all our source code which pretty much means that we indeed have old versions archived. Other than that, I planned on leaving all of the built packages pinned to the original post even as new ones roll out.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 11:31:51 PM by Stinkee2 »

Offline Duke64

• Administrator
  • T:REP 6523
  • Sixty Four
    • View Profile
    • Duke64Nukem.com
« Reply #73 on: September 29, 2015, 09:51:32 PM »
It is okay to take your time in fact good things don't just happen overnight. Keep it up man and good luck with your render engine to, I also look forward to see how that turns out. If it helps with Turok Evolution then its pretty good I imagine. 

I want to go swimming in that water hole gators or not :P
Dinosaur Hunter
"Its time to make tracks"
"You are tiny grasshopper"
"Suck it down"
"Boo, No soup for you"
"Arrrgghhhh"
"I live again"

Offline Adon

• Protector
  • Mystical
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 30, 2015, 10:17:32 AM »
The post processing actually makes it look pretty damn good actually 8) I can recognize/remember these shots because there early on in the game. I wonder where the baboons are, are they shoved in a corner or are they just respawn actors that activate upon trying to get the key?

Hello everyone, sorry for the lack of activity.. The lacktivity. I am just experiencing a little bit of a side effect of too many programming binges too close together. When I spend too much time in the zone it is kind of hard to get back into it once I take a short break. It's been slowish. As djdduty said, we've been working on the renderer lately. We haven't forgotten about the Turok viewer, though. I don't have much to offer you in terms of progress on the viewer, but I have two screenshots of a turok level using our new deferred renderer with SSAO and antialiasing enabled.
I know the exact feeling one day I am neck deep into something then I get so much done that i'm overwhelmed so I take a break and then it becomes hard to get out of that break but you will be fine :P You have already done so much in such short time and thanks for the efforts.

Question: Would said renderer be of any use or help to get Turok 1 level viewer to be a level editor?

It is okay to take your time in fact good things don't just happen overnight. Keep it up man and good luck with your render engine to, I also look forward to see how that turns out. If it helps with Turok Evolution then its pretty good I imagine. 

I want to go swimming in that water hole gators or not :P
Duke if you go swimming in there you might not come back out lol But true great things don't develop themselves and they also don't happen over night :)
I AM ADON

Offline Stinkee2

• Raptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 01, 2015, 07:57:03 AM »
I come bearing updates this day, glorious updates.
I have written the code to save the actor transformations, and made a simple way to move objects around. In the current build, you can only translate dynamic objects. No rotations or scaling yet, and only dynamic objects because most of the static objects are huge and caused annoying problems when trying to click on small things. Once there is a UI there will be an option to enable static object selection. There will also be a way to rotate and scale objects of course.

Controls:
-W: Forward
-S: Backward
-A: Left
-D: Right
-Left Click: Select/drag dynamic objects (Must hold button down)

Warning:
Remember to back up the .ATI file of the level you're editing or else you'll need to reinstall in order to put it back to its original state, or PM someone for a clean copy.

Notes:

-In order to enable antialiasing, rename "FinalDeferredPass.mtrl" to "FinalDeferredPassNoFxaa.mtrl" (It's hacky, I know)
-It's kind of difficult to place actors precisely due to the way the camera works and the actors translating just a little bit when you click on them.
-Some actors are "immune" to being moved around, they are automatically moved somewhere else when the level loads. Trees and plants seem to always work, as do power ups and weapons. Some enemies can also be moved.
-This is all kind of crude at the moment, but I figure it would be worth it to let this out now as a kind of... appetizer.
-It is possible to "break" the game by moving objects. I discovered this by placing a dinosaur on the bridge at the start of level one.

Here are some screenshots:
These two are from a level I edited and then played on

The mysterious intro screen lizard:

I've never seen one of these guys up close

I placed him at a wall so that as soon as the level starts he will explode.

I'll add the build files to the original post of this thread.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 02:14:33 PM by Stinkee2 »

Offline Adon

• Protector
  • Mystical
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 01, 2015, 09:15:15 AM »
Wow Stinkee, simply amazing job so far I honestly still can't believe this is close to happening. With Turok on the rise with the HD remakes and now a possible level editor for Turok Evolution? I am stunned and shocked at the sudden jump for Turok :D Well so far thanks so much for your efforts here can't wait to check it out omg yeah I can see you added some stuff to the start of the first level xD Well I see great things coming from and for this... you rock :P
I AM ADON

Offline Jay Doomed

• Global Moderator
  • T:REP 2632
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 01, 2015, 02:15:10 PM »

Do these use your post processing effects? Btw amazing work man seriously.
"Whatever it is, it doesn't belong in this world."

Offline Stinkee2

• Raptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 01, 2015, 02:34:30 PM »
Do these use your post processing effects? Btw amazing work man seriously.

No, those are in-game screenshots. In the future I would like to explore the possibility of "baking" the ambient occlusion onto high resolution textures for each level, but this would require duplicating all of the textures used in a level for each level. So it would require a lot more space on the hard drive. It could be worth it though to make the game look better.

Also thank you, there's more to come.

Here are some features I am expecting to have implemented in the next build:
-Easier and more precise actor movement
-Easy way to rotate/scale actors
-Ability to load new actors and place them throughout the levels (might be very tricky)

Offline The_EyeofTurok

• Iguana
  • T:REP 121
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 01, 2015, 02:39:34 PM »
Damn looks like I check the thread at the right time. Hey dude this is super work! love those screenshots I am going to check it out man. Thanks for keeping up with this.
They are watching

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal