Author Topic: PC Version Multiplayer - Online Modification  (Read 89197 times)

Offline Stinkee2

• Raptor
  • T:REP 242
    • View Profile
Re: PC Version Multiplayer - Online Modification
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2016, 09:17:18 AM »
I don't have much experience with d3d either, but in opengl I use glClear, and with 3D games usually graphics programmers set it to also clear the depth buffer and stencil buffer. Sometimes those two buffers are even combined. I doubt this game does anything with the stencil buffer though.

This is the kind of thing I've missed in the past, even when I've written it myself. Then worn myself out for a week trying to figure out why something isn't rendering properly. It's kind of interesting to me that that's a problem that exists in the PC version at all. That's the kind of thing I'd think they'd notice and fix early on in the development of the multiplayer.

Offline PNill

• Iguana
  • T:REP 144
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2016, 09:25:54 AM »
I don't have much experience with d3d either, but in opengl I use glClear, and with 3D games usually graphics programmers set it to also clear the depth buffer and stencil buffer. Sometimes those two buffers are even combined. I doubt this game does anything with the stencil buffer though.

This is the kind of thing I've missed in the past, even when I've written it myself. Then worn myself out for a week trying to figure out why something isn't rendering properly. It's kind of interesting to me that that's a problem that exists in the PC version at all. That's the kind of thing I'd think they'd notice and fix early on in the development of the multiplayer.

To clarify I don't have experience with OpenGL or d3d I've never really done 3D programming I know enough to rip functions and hook areas to do basic rendering of text and menus which other people wrote handlers for but not enough to write my own stuff from scratch.

Well I'm thinking that it got screwed up some how when they were porting to PC because the entire rendering loop for the multiplayer mode is different from the single player,
Multiplayer was never even intended to be functional on PC in-fact there's literally no way to bind controls to the 2nd player.

In theory I could make it happen and add split-screen support by basically updating the memory of the player but that's besides what we're talking about..

So yeah, I had to use PIX to find it and I watched the depth buffer get cleared out here's an example

- depth buffer before clear.
- depth buffer after clear.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 09:27:32 AM by PermaNull »

Offline PNill

• Iguana
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2016, 04:32:22 PM »

Just some really ghetto syncing with me and Dinomite in-game together, basically I just update xyz cords from both sides as well as some minor input for re-spawn and weapon switch.

Obviously not the way the final version would be done but just wanted to screw around.

Also note worth is I haven't been able to spawn a second player without the game doing it itself my friend handled that back in 07 and he had it working I've also completely lost contact with him,
I can't seem to figure it out going to keep trying but we may end up beginning this project with 4 player split-screen matches sadly... Screen looking over the internet anyone? lol.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 04:35:37 PM by PermaNull »

Offline Duke64

• Administrator
  • T:REP 6523
  • Sixty Four
    • View Profile
    • Duke64Nukem.com
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2016, 07:14:29 PM »
That is good progress indeed. I actually wouldn't even care if it has split screen at least till the solution came up for it which I hope would eventually come. But I wouldn't mind it personally. If the co op mode worked 2 player split screen co op would be bad ass though. That is awesome there can the players hurt each other already to? xD
Dinosaur Hunter
"Its time to make tracks"
"You are tiny grasshopper"
"Suck it down"
"Boo, No soup for you"
"Arrrgghhhh"
"I live again"

Offline PNill

• Iguana
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2016, 09:06:47 PM »
That is good progress indeed. I actually wouldn't even care if it has split screen at least till the solution came up for it which I hope would eventually come. But I wouldn't mind it personally. If the co op mode worked 2 player split screen co op would be bad ass though. That is awesome there can the players hurt each other already to? xD

Yeah players could hurt each other and stuff, but the way I was syncing things was super ghetto just to mess around.

A real implementation would be to hook the areas where it updates positions and such and then use those as events to send data over the network, except the idea is that you want your packets to be as small as possible so you only send deltas rather then full data in every packet....

I need to consider how I'm going to do it..

Offline Duke64

• Administrator
  • Sixty Four
    • View Profile
    • Duke64Nukem.com
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2016, 02:54:08 AM »
Well it would be funny if you or Iggy smacked each other with the Warclub. I just keep feeling like it was going to happen in the video there lol. So who is who I mean who is top and bottom in that? But of course you want to send the least amount of data. So your saying that creating the way to actually send/render it correctly is the specific issue? I do wish I could help there but I don't think I will be much help on that myself. Its been interesting seeing this much so far though even know we took a trip to the ghetto it was fun hehe :P
Dinosaur Hunter
"Suck it down"
"Boo, No soup for you"
"Arrrgghhhh"
"I live again"

Offline PNill

• Iguana
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2016, 09:50:53 AM »
Well it would be funny if you or Iggy smacked each other with the Warclub. I just keep feeling like it was going to happen in the video there lol. So who is who I mean who is top and bottom in that? But of course you want to send the least amount of data. So your saying that creating the way to actually send/render it correctly is the specific issue? I do wish I could help there but I don't think I will be much help on that myself. Its been interesting seeing this much so far though even know we took a trip to the ghetto it was fun hehe :P
The issue has nothing to do with the method I will use to sync the data between players...

But to explain the way that it works is he's controlling the 2nd player on my screen where I am controlling the second on his.

It's not really mapping my local input to player 2 and controlling player 2 on him or anything like that.

On our local screens we are both player 1, and remotely we are both player 2.

Offline Dinomite

• Ban
  • T:REP 2223
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2016, 12:33:57 PM »
Video of the "Ghetto match" should be up soon.

Offline Duke64

• Administrator
  • Sixty Four
    • View Profile
    • Duke64Nukem.com
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2016, 01:53:52 AM »
The issue has nothing to do with the method I will use to sync the data between players...

But to explain the way that it works is he's controlling the 2nd player on my screen where I am controlling the second on his.

It's not really mapping my local input to player 2 and controlling player 2 on him or anything like that.

Ahh I see that's got to be pretty confusing there dealing with that I hope you can figure it out though sounds crazy. I imagine that is ghetto :))

I gotta see this hehe :) Turok ghetto wars.
Dinosaur Hunter
"Suck it down"
"Boo, No soup for you"
"Arrrgghhhh"
"I live again"

Offline PNill

• Iguana
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2016, 05:43:24 PM »

Ahh I see that's got to be pretty confusing there dealing with that I hope you can figure it out though sounds crazy. I imagine that is ghetto :))

I gotta see this hehe :) Turok ghetto wars.

It's not too confusing to be honest, but it shouldn't reflect the actual project at all in terms of how things will actually work once it's completed.

Though after I synchronized View angles I'm thinking of releasing the current progress so anyone here who is able to port forward can play with a friend of theirs just to screw around while I work to actually sync things properly.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal