Author Topic: (Release) 洞爺湖 (Turok Map)  (Read 9949 times)

Offline ひまわりくん

• Raptor
  • T:REP 304
  • Gone but not dead
    • View Profile
    • Redbubble
(Release) 洞爺湖 (Turok Map)
« on: January 18, 2018, 10:28:31 PM »

Finally, after nearly three months, 2 calvados bottles (actually just half a bottle) and enough patience to wait out the heat death of the universe, I give you 洞爺湖 (toyako), my very own Turok Dinosaur Hunter map:

STORY AND DETAILS:

On his way back to Earth, Tal'Set falls into a dimensional vortex that deposits him to a remote area of the Lost Land where an earthquake ravaged an ancient city centuries ago, the local populace do not take kindly on travelers and will shoot first and ask questions later. Find your way out of there by collecting 3 keys scattered through the map!

The mod consists of 3 parts, the map, a player movement mod and lastly a music update.

The map itself isn't something too amazing, it's merely my first attempt at building a map using an editor. There's a total of 5 secrets (one of them isn't labeled as a secret because I don't really consider it a secret). As I built sectors and placed actors, it helped me understand how the game works and why it works the way it does. Inspiration for this map comes from here, Adon, this map is a tribute to you.

By the way, the name of the map isn't something mythical, it's quite literally the first thing that came to my mind, go here to understand the origin of the name.

The player movement mod changes player speed from it's default value to 10.8.
As I playtested the map, I felt something off, and ultimately figured that Turok ran too fast! Playing with various other values I found that 10.8 hit the right spot.

Lastly the music update changes the vanilla Turok soundtrack to that of Darren Mitchell's original score, it also adds a custom track titled "Kiri.ogg" which plays in a special section of the map.

Gameplay video:

https://youtu.be/W2s9ldi0dCY

Download: https://turoksanctum.com/toyako_by_camus/

Thank you Duke, Badger, smoke and Behemoth, I couldn't have completed this map without your guides and notes.

Edit Duke64: Sorry had to remove the Darren Mitchell soundtrack from the download added a new link without it.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 01:20:41 AM by Duke64 »

Offline Duke64

• Administrator
  • T:REP 6523
  • Sixty Four
    • View Profile
    • Duke64Nukem.com
Re: (Release) 洞爺湖 (Turok Map)
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 01:15:36 AM »
Looked great from the wip screenshots and video. I'm going to try this out just in time for the weekend tomorrow after work so great timing. Good job man looking forward to it!

:raptoid:

Sorry but we can't include Darren's music in the downloads here.

I have uploaded it on to Turok Sanctum without the soundtrack: https://turoksanctum.com/toyako_by_camus/

Dinosaur Hunter
"Its time to make tracks"
"You are tiny grasshopper"
"Suck it down"
"Boo, No soup for you"
"Arrrgghhhh"
"I live again"

Offline Rok

• Global Moderator
  • T:REP 1968
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 09:22:22 AM »
Oh really cool. I like that you did the water for Adon. i'm off to play this now  :feather:
Raptor Rok is metal.

Offline Jay Doomed

• Global Moderator
  • T:REP 2632
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 01:03:18 PM »
Nice map though I just played it. So 洞爺湖 means Lake Tōya a lake in Japan that's a cool name.
"Whatever it is, it doesn't belong in this world."

Offline ひまわりくん

• Raptor
  • Gone but not dead
    • View Profile
    • Redbubble
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 06:59:15 PM »
Looked great from the wip screenshots and video. I'm going to try this out just in time for the weekend tomorrow after work so great timing. Good job man looking forward to it!

:raptoid:

Sorry but we can't include Darren's music in the downloads here.

I have uploaded it on to Turok Sanctum without the soundtrack: https://turoksanctum.com/toyako_by_camus/

Exactly. Sorry, Dude. :TT TT:
Oh shit, forgot about that, I shall go commit sudoku now.

Offline Duke64

• Administrator
  • T:REP 6523
  • Sixty Four
    • View Profile
    • Duke64Nukem.com
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2018, 12:48:08 AM »
Its nothing personal at all though I'm about to play the map now but yeah we can't supply the Darren Mitchell ost not even in different formats. However, you could encourage those who own that ost to play with that- we know how to do that :) I think most of us already own it but remember, guest's are allowed to browse too and I think that's where it can become a misunderstanding. So its open not just for us but for anybody browsing. Don't worry about it, its really not much but we got to look out for those guys.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 12:51:19 AM by Duke64 »
Dinosaur Hunter
"Its time to make tracks"
"You are tiny grasshopper"
"Suck it down"
"Boo, No soup for you"
"Arrrgghhhh"
"I live again"

Offline Badger

• Endtrail
  • T:REP 772
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2018, 11:47:29 AM »

also lol....

This was a very, very "medium rare" type map, just the way i like it. Health and ammo placement was thoughtfully placed, which avoided making things too easy or impossible. It had a nice action build up, and the enemy placement made sense.

The massive battle in the city at the end was the most fun :D

-Bugs and advices-

For some reason I could not pick these arrows up.

Be sure you sector around gaps in buildings, otherwise you can end up shooting at invisible walls, which i encountered in the cave with the ancient buildings.

:treasure: :treasure: :treasure: :treasure: :treasure:
Place more life forces so that they lead to switches/enemy triggers and gates activated by those switches/enemy triggers. You have very large areas (which is a plus btw, it shows you worked hard on the map imo), but it isn't at all clear for the average player where to go, especially in the final area. The exit from the fortress moat and the path to the end portal especially.

*bows head*
Great job, and arigato, for listening.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 11:55:59 AM by Badger »

Offline BehemothProgrammer

• Endtrail
  • T:REP 791
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2018, 02:36:46 PM »
Loved your map. I played through it on Hardcore and was having a fun time with it. I got a lot of enemy in fighting and one Demon wizard guy just didn't want to take anything from this Purlins fireballs. I found a few secrets but missed the one at the end. Great map and long too. And something you can do to make Turok stick to the ground properly while going down slopes is click on the Turok player actor and on the actor's properties General-->Dead Height set that to 30.719999.

Turok 2 Co-Op Mod

QTurok | Turok: Mountain of the Sun | WolfenTurok 3D | and more...

Offline Reienkyo Mac Perpis

• Iguana
  • T:REP 92
  • Slegs have rights!.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2018, 05:31:08 PM »
Looks wonderful!, a lot of effort on this and im fall in love whit the map becouse the aztec theme!!!.
+Fireborns dreams whit sheeps on fire?.+

Offline ひまわりくん

• Raptor
  • Gone but not dead
    • View Profile
    • Redbubble
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2018, 09:08:52 PM »
Did all I could to get the map ready for steam following advice given by Badger and behemothprogrammer, fixed stuff around and as such, the level is now available in the steam workshop.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1277685007

Also, uploaded a revision of the level for turoksanctum, Duke if you could, please update the turoksanctum post with the new kpf, but do keep the older version for archiving purposes.

Badger, I hope you don't mind me using some of the pictures you posted for the steam workshop page, I will pay you in doritos  :treasure: :treasure: :treasure:

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal