Author Topic: To share or not to share WIP projects??  (Read 6264 times)

Offline Jay Doomed

• Global Moderator
  • T:REP 2632
    • View Profile
To share or not to share WIP projects??
« on: December 06, 2017, 11:51:20 AM »
So me and Sixty Four were discussing yesterday whether it was a good idea or a bad idea to show your progress on wip projects in videos and screenshots or perhaps a post that gets updated.

To share it, has its pros people get to see some of what you're working on, it can build some hype around what is to come, and it raises awareness that you are working on some things.

To no share has its pros also like the surprise of releasing something that was being worked on in private.

At this point neither one of us was sure if it was a good idea or a bad idea. If you don't share, you also risk your idea being done by somebody else and then they share it asap. So can anyone honestly tell me what do you think is the better idea in your opinion?? Thoughts?

:campaigner:
"Whatever it is, it doesn't belong in this world."

Offline Mon-Ark

• Raptor
  • T:REP 420
    • View Profile
Re: To share or not to share WIP projects??
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 12:53:59 PM »
Even if someone else might do the same, its more about who does it best, and at least it would be more acceptable that someone comes up with the same idea by mere chance than someone outright copying after seeing new on a WIP project.

Also getting people excited for something with an uncertain future.

Dont share.

Offline Jay Doomed

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 02:38:21 PM »
Thanks for your inputs and I can understand that too. Just wanted to add in that its not much about doing the same things, since well its a free world we do what we want for fun and its all fun times good times. Just wanted to say theres no negative energy there when we talk about it. But that is a little note that came up because some things have no better way of doing them, somethings would all be done very very similar.

Of course wip stuff being showed off could also never get done or released. But I was thinking for Turok where there isnt much going on, would that even be much of a pain here? Maybe in Doom where you have things releasing daily. But in Turok we arent getting much action daily or releases.... theres big silent drop offs. So thats the main reason its a tough decision. To share and keep things pumping and going.. or to go silent and eventually get them out. Theres potential to lose interest from other players by communities appearing dead you know what I meaning?

« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 02:44:29 PM by Jay Doomed »

Offline Badger

• Endtrail
  • T:REP 772
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 06:13:53 PM »
I get Mon-Ark's concerns about building unnecessary hype, I try to slow that by  releasing vague images of my wips (at least public ones).

Being worried about being copied...not really a valid concern at this point in time, there's so few people mapping atm that nearly all that have made a map are easy to get in contact. In my perspective that's a concern carried over from the Doom family of games, which is saturated with modders in general for that to be an issue.

To me, sharing pictures motivates me to continue working on a map and sometimes i get ideas on where to go next from other people seeing them.

So yeah, if you want to inspire people and maybe even get inspiration yourself stuff i think sharing is optimal.

Offline Duke64

• Administrator
  • T:REP 6523
  • Sixty Four
    • View Profile
    • Duke64Nukem.com
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 09:50:29 PM »
I didn't really know where to stand on this either. Usually in the past I never shared anything, especially DN3D mods/maps. I've shared some wip stuff for Turok, but also kept a lot of it under wraps.

Just wanted to add in that its not much about doing the same things, since well its a free world we do what we want for fun and its all fun times good times. Just wanted to say there's no negative energy there when we talk about it.

This right here is nice and true. My question originally is do you think its best to show some things and keep activity going, or basically go underground while we work? In Duke 3D I didn't reveal anything and that's actually what I'm used to doing overall. But that community has more active mappers/modders. So I was thinking do we need to do this for the time being to keep up with the program and not appear like things get slow for Turok?

To me, sharing pictures motivates me to continue working on a map and sometimes i get ideas on where to go next from other people seeing them.

Yeah that too it motivates another mapper or modder to do something or do more to there map or whatever it may be its some form of motive.

:raptoid:
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 09:51:13 PM by Duke64 »
Dinosaur Hunter
"Its time to make tracks"
"You are tiny grasshopper"
"Suck it down"
"Boo, No soup for you"
"Arrrgghhhh"
"I live again"

Offline Jay Doomed

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 09:53:40 AM »
That's true it can motivate or inspire. Good talks I mean we have some nice mods currently going. But this is just a curious topic where things slow down in Turok modding time to time I think that pushing out nice wip screens and videos could be helpful to keep it lively in the slow times. We shall find out huh

Offline DoomMarine23

• Raptor
  • T:REP 230
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2017, 03:16:43 PM »
Personally? I like being public about it. It allows me to breathe life into the community and receive feedback. If I inspire some people? That is awesome.

If someone "steals" my idea? That is fine. All of us have taken direct inspirations from other artists and their works, and I am sure some of us have thought "I can do that, but better". If someone isn't saying my work is theirs, I have no problem with it, because ideas are just ideas. Tons of maps/mods released here for Turok or other games, have totally inspired me, or have done similar ideas that I wanted to do. We're all in this together, so I see no harm, as long as no one has ill intentions.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 03:22:43 PM by DoomMarine23 »

Offline Duke64

• Administrator
  • T:REP 6523
  • Sixty Four
    • View Profile
    • Duke64Nukem.com
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2017, 01:33:08 AM »
I did see it come up more than once so I have to say I personally don't say 'I can do something better'- I would say something like 'that's awesome nice job' but that's just me. And with myself I will do something to my appeal - I would do something more up my alley for style what I like to see.... I would say that or something of that manner someway. But I suppose that's how it goes lmao aye. I also don't think about copying or anything of that matter. I've been through it all lol and no lie. So I just view it as "that's what so and so wanted in there mod". For me any other type of thoughts don't work.

I think it is good to show stuff. Because Turok modding is young and it needs a extra push from us, it didn't start in the 90's like Doom or any other game they're modding today. Something like Doom modding is fully grown. Turok modding is young and is taking formation based on how we handle it right now ;) Occasionally sharing is good and I agree with that it, definitely depends on the persons choice overall though.

:raptoid:

« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 03:11:24 AM by Duke64 »
Dinosaur Hunter
"Its time to make tracks"
"You are tiny grasshopper"
"Suck it down"
"Boo, No soup for you"
"Arrrgghhhh"
"I live again"

Offline Rok

• Global Moderator
  • T:REP 1968
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2017, 02:34:45 PM »
Well yeah, the word 'better' is a preference opinion not a fact. And I say share awaay ;)
Raptor Rok is metal.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal