Author Topic: Why Turok 3: Shadow of Oblivion is my favorite Turok game  (Read 32694 times)

Offline Ravenfreak

• Iguana
  • T:REP 14
  • "I am Turok!"
    • View Profile
Why Turok 3: Shadow of Oblivion is my favorite Turok game
« on: October 19, 2015, 12:49:24 AM »
So it seems that most fans don't really care for this title as much as the other ones... I for one, think Shadow of Oblivion is the best Turok game. See I love how you have a choice between two different characters, and each character has their own set of weapons plus they take different paths. I also love the soundtrack the most. Plus I really love the story line too, and seeing how the Flesh Eaters are my favorite characters from the Turok series, this game is epic since it's based around them. xD I just wish it got a PC port... :\ I would have loved to play in some deathmatches with people online, and the game would have run a bit smoother on the PC as well. I can't be the only one who loves Turok 3 here right? :P

Offline Adon

• Protector
  • T:REP 910
  • Mystical
    • View Profile
Re: Why Turok 3: Shadow of Oblivion is my favorite Turok game
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 01:16:24 PM »
You are surely not the only fan of Turok 3. There just hasn't been much to talk about with it lately. I love the weapons and how each character has different paths also. Its a good game that should of been ported to PC, I personally don't understand why they strayed away from the pc ports on there later games...
I AM ADON

Offline Duke64

• Administrator
  • T:REP 6523
  • Sixty Four
    • View Profile
    • Duke64Nukem.com
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 07:37:38 PM »
I just wish it got a PC port... :\ I would have loved to play in some deathmatches with people online, and the game would have run a bit smoother on the PC as well. I can't be the only one who loves Turok 3 here right? :P
Wish that it got a PC port as well. 100% agree on it having better controls if it were on PC but I am fine with the 64 version but a PC port would of opened more options for fans and mp possibilities. Turok 3 is a good game all the weapons and and scenes are crazy and big. Also, the fog limits were better then the limits in Turok 1 and Turok 2.
Dinosaur Hunter
"Its time to make tracks"
"You are tiny grasshopper"
"Suck it down"
"Boo, No soup for you"
"Arrrgghhhh"
"I live again"

Offline Rok

• Global Moderator
  • T:REP 1968
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 01:02:16 PM »
I like every Turok game tbh. Also, would like to point out that T3 had one of the best bosses I've ever seen in all games.
Raptor Rok is metal.

Offline Jay Doomed

• Global Moderator
  • T:REP 2632
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 03:07:07 PM »
Welcome :) and no your not the only one who likes Turok 3 its like Adon said not many conversations brought up about it to discuss it. I 100% agree with Rok also Oblivion is one of the most bad ass bosses there is around period not just n Turok games.
"Whatever it is, it doesn't belong in this world."

Offline Komenja

• Iguana
  • T:REP 68
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2015, 07:16:26 PM »
Turok 3 is certainly a good game on it's own merits. I feel it's mostly overlooked for two reasons: One,  It came out near the end of the N64's lifespan, when most people's attention were on the upcoming consoles. Two, it's the single furthest departure from Turok's roots. Turok is about a native american fighting dinosaurs, pretty much every adaptation of the story/character since the 1950's heavily focused on this... except for Shadow of Oblivion (well, and the short-lived Dark Horse comics). It's like Halo without aliens, or DOOM without demons. I'm not saying this in itself is a negative thing, but it can be a turn off for some people. I remember my dad renting the game from Blockbuster right when it came out, and quitting after an hour of fighting zombies and dogs (hey, that just meant I got to play it instead!).

Anyways, yeah, the Flesh Eaters are metal as fuck. The segments where you fought them in Turok 2 were some of my favorite parts of that game, it was really neat to see them develop into the primary threat. Having the choice of two protagonists with different weapons/abilities is always a nice choice, even if I pretty much only choose Danielle. I'd say more shooters should take a stab at that, but a good deal of them have a hard enough time creating one interesting/entertaining protagonist!
"I am Turok, Son of Stone! Turok of the Kiowa-Apache! Turok, the Hunter! I won't forget these things, nor will I forget how to use my weapons: my bow... my brain... my knife! However, I'm no fool. I'll keep the gun, too."
- Turok: Dinosaur Hunter #0, 1995

Offline Cyriu

• Iguana
  • T:REP 86
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2015, 02:14:28 AM »
Turok 3 is certainly a game I hold very dear despite showing signs of being rushed and being so far off the Turok roots. It improved in some regards from T2, but I enjoyed the level design and overall more streamlined gameplay and faster pacing. The concept of two characters each having their own route, special item, and weapons upgrades is one I really like as well. And the weapon selection, while not he best of the series still had high points. I mean Cerebral Processor, PSG, Fireswarm, Shredder, and Vampire Gun; good stuff.

The enemy design is very interesting as well, most enemies feel like cryptic creatures or Lovecraftian monstrosities. I also liked some of the returning enemies more than their T2 counterparts, particularly the raptors which are more faster and agile, and the Fireborn Magmites which actually throw and bleed fire.

I only wish that this game was also getting a HD remaster as well.

Offline Rok

• Global Moderator
  • T:REP 1968
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2015, 02:21:48 PM »
A remaster probably could help this game a ton! I mean putting it on pc would make it 10 times better alone :)
Raptor Rok is metal.

Offline Cyriu

• Iguana
  • T:REP 86
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2015, 11:26:48 PM »
A remaster probably could help this game a ton! I mean putting it on pc would make it 10 times better alone :)

Definitely. It's such a shame that this game didn't get a PC port because I am pretty sure that if it wasn't for that, we would surely have a Turok 3 HD Remaster alongside T1 and T2. I enjoy playing it on my N64, but the lag can sometimes spoil the fun a little bit. I can only assume that taking the data inside a N64 rom would involve some copyright issue so we would probably have to settle with no HD remaster, unless a fan does it for free. Or maybe someone pulls off a DOOM 64 EX for Turok 3...

Offline Adon

• Protector
  • T:REP 910
  • Mystical
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2015, 01:17:27 PM »
Or maybe someone pulls off a DOOM 64 EX for Turok 3...

Kaiser is the guy who can do it maybe if we have enough support and demand for Turok 3 they would do that to? I for one would 100% support it if T3 came out. Also, Rage wars and Evolution! Full Turok revival :D I wish
I AM ADON

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal