Author Topic: Turok Roots  (Read 4528 times)

Offline AbyssalDragon86

• Dimetrodon
  • T:REP 1069
  • Lord of The Abyss
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
Turok Roots
« on: November 08, 2015, 04:00:20 AM »
That's good to hear because that's exactly why I made the forum. There was no place for us to rally up for all of the games. A place for all of the games, comics, and other historical stuff Turok has done. Most people don't realize the full Turok story I hoped to create a place we can connect like this. Welcome trust me all of us felt the same way before not seeing a Turok community :/ I see Duke nukem, Doom, 007 communities so why not Turok kicks ass. Thanks for joining and sharing new Turok :P

It must've been 5 years already, since I first played them on an emulator but I remember how hard it was to find others interested in the series. You can look at places such as Tumblr and DeviantArt but you might not find a lot of results.

Was "Turok" inspired from any Native American legends or an actual name they use? I always wanted to know where the idea first started, besides from appearing in old comics.

À la vie, à la mort.
Steam: AbyssalDragon86

Offline operative lm

• Raptor
  • T:REP 468
    • View Profile
Re: Turok Roots
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 01:00:48 PM »
No real American Indian legends as far as I'm aware, but it's a definite unknown as to where the name came from. The first issue of Turok, Son of Stone was originally written as a one-shot of a previous title, Young Hawk, but at some point during the issue's editing phase, the protagonists names were changed (from Young Hawk and Little Buck to Turok and Andar, respectively). It's not known who did it, why, or why they picked those names in particular. I'm not even sure if they have any real etymological origin.  :-\

Online Dinomite

• Chronoscepter
  • T:REP 8269
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 03:55:51 PM »
I like the names. Dont know if it would be different if it started with Young Hawk and Little Buck but still.

The most hated person on the internet.

Offline AbyssalDragon86

• Dimetrodon
  • T:REP 1069
  • Lord of The Abyss
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 12:38:20 PM »
No real American Indian legends as far as I'm aware, but it's a definite unknown as to where the name came from. The first issue of Turok, Son of Stone was originally written as a one-shot of a previous title, Young Hawk, but at some point during the issue's editing phase, the protagonists names were changed (from Young Hawk and Little Buck to Turok and Andar, respectively). It's not known who did it, why, or why they picked those names in particular. I'm not even sure if they have any real etymological origin.  :-\

Maybe "Turok" sounded better, but I guess I'll have to try and find out the origin, if there is one... It might've been inspired from something like most things are.

À la vie, à la mort.
Steam: AbyssalDragon86

Offline operative lm

• Raptor
  • T:REP 468
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 08:24:32 PM »
I'm partial to the "they did it 'cause it sounds cool" theory. :P  All I can tell you origin-wise is that "Turok" can be a Jewish family name. For comparison, there's Ben Turok, anti-apartheid activist, and his astrophysicist son, Neil (who is the main non-Turok "Turok" that likes to pop up in search engines :V  ).

Offline Duke64

• Administrator
  • T:REP 7044
  • Sixty Four
    • View Profile
    • Duke64Nukem.com
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, 11:12:13 PM »
I have searched for something like this to before, to try and find where it all originates from. What I ended up with is..

It most likely is based off of something but to pin what that is can be tough. Turok generally means protector of land or earth. So that could push for some leads. Also, there most likely will be some kind of belief in magic an spiritual stuff.  It might not be based on anything, but you may be able to get close to something. It being so old I imagine cowboys and indians were the talk of the town. Could be based on mythical stories that continued to be told.
Dinosaur Hunter
"Its time to make tracks"
"You are tiny grasshopper"
"Suck it down"
"Boo, No soup for you"
"Arrrgghhhh"
"I live again"

Offline Adon

• Protector
  • T:REP 1052
  • Mystical
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2015, 12:07:52 PM »
I found some native american symbols for protection maybe finding which tribe believed in protecting in the way of saving/helping/protecting rather then protection and health could narrow it down.

http://www.warpaths2peacepipes.com/native-american-symbols/protection-symbol.htm
I AM ADON

Offline Drek

• Iguana
  • T:REP 33
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2015, 01:54:34 PM »

I know a few ppl will read this and say this guy is nuts... I don't give a shit :)

The story of dinosaurs, bones, fossils, dragons, evolution, it's not the truth. Turok explores an old belief, from pre-history, pre-flood, the world had dinosaurs and humans together, the chinese called them Dragons, hell so did the english till a hundred years ago. Saint James killed the last Dragon in Europe, they were feeding it virgins at the time. I've spent much time on a reserve, I've heard many ''legends'' of monsters. We are at a time in the world where most people think Humans evolved from single cell sea creatures, most will say Dinosaurs have been dead and gone millions of years, turned into birds they did, dinosaurs are birds now and dragons are just china myths. Bullshit, Turok is about the little truths slipping through the cracks, a peak at a world of the past that the present powers want forgotten.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 01:56:48 PM by Drek »

Offline Komenja

• Iguana
  • T:REP 118
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2015, 11:07:59 PM »

If this is true, I'd imagine the change was made to have more recognizable and unique names. There were plenty of native american characters (or white men acting like natives) in comics at the time and aside from Tonto they all had pretty similar names. Turok and Andar sure stand out from names like Red Wolf and Little Beaver

Bullshit, Turok is about the little truths slipping through the cracks, a peak at a world of the past that the present powers want forgotten.

Turok, Son of Stone was a story about two plains Indians getting lost in a hidden valley full of dinosaurs and cave men, not unlike Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's story The Lost World. Then 40 years later Valiant had the guy fight cyborg dinosaurs from another dimension. It has nothing to do with Creationism.
"I am Turok, Son of Stone! Turok of the Kiowa-Apache! Turok, the Hunter! I won't forget these things, nor will I forget how to use my weapons: my bow... my brain... my knife! However, I'm no fool... I'll keep the gun, too."
- Turok #0, 1995