Author Topic: Turok: Evolution TCRF Page  (Read 6206 times)

Offline Dinomite

• Chronoscepter
  • T:REP 8269
    • View Profile
Re: Turok: Evolution TCRF Page
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2017, 01:59:42 AM »
Sorry to necromance this thread.

I was just browsing through the forum again and saw this, did you use the editor to modify the level and add in the unused data? I didn't know anyone was using it in any sort of capacity but it's cool that it was used for something!

What are you using to generate the model and texture preview images? Those models seem to have no visual artifacts and whatever you used could be a good research tool to try and fix some of the loading artifacts in Stinkee's turok file loading library.

Also, if a converter / dedicated extractor is desired for models, it might not be too hard to convert the turok files to more conventional model files using the file loading library, but those artifacts would still be present, and model animations wouldn't be part of the output files.

If you did use the viewer / editor, that's awesome and motivating! I'm sorry that neither Stinkee nor I have continued work on the project in recent times.
I am sorry but i did not use the editor for that. :(
I did however use it for my out of bounds video to remove the door at the start of first level.
So bow DID i spawn them? Multiple ways. Some of the stuff works if you replace existing objects with it but barely any works correctly or at all that way. Another is using permanulls spawner from a earlier turok evo mp build. Last but not least, using a hex editor you can change the values of certain stuff and have it spawn. Hope i helped.

The most hated person on the internet.

Offline djdduty

• Iguana
  • T:REP 135
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2017, 04:05:34 PM »
I am sorry but i did not use the editor for that. :(
I did however use it for my out of bounds video to remove the door at the start of first level.
So bow DID i spawn them? Multiple ways. Some of the stuff works if you replace existing objects with it but barely any works correctly or at all that way. Another is using permanulls spawner from a earlier turok evo mp build. Last but not least, using a hex editor you can change the values of certain stuff and have it spawn. Hope i helped.

No need to be sorry, that's good news, your last statement means that it's possible other people have figured out the data structures within turok and could potentially provide data on how it works for simulation of the original system.

I don't think it'll help move the viewer along at all, though, since stinkee already figured out how the serialized files work mostly. The last main thing I believe the parsing library from stinkee is missing is fixing those vertices which appear way outside where they are supposed to and causing certain models to have spikes. This is why I was asking how you generated the images of the models, none of them have those spikes, so they might be reading the data in a different way that is more proper.

Offline operative lm

• Raptor
  • T:REP 468
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2017, 08:50:58 PM »
The model images were made by loading the models in Blender after converting them to .3ds files via BMS script. If I can find the script again, I can send it to you. Or Dinomite probably can if he sees this post before you do. :P

Offline djdduty

• Iguana
  • T:REP 135
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2017, 10:11:18 PM »
The model images were made by loading the models in Blender after converting them to .3ds files via BMS script. If I can find the script again, I can send it to you. Or Dinomite probably can if he sees this post before you do. :P

That would be excellent, that script may provide some insight into model file reading.

Offline Dinomite

• Chronoscepter
  • T:REP 8269
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2017, 07:05:57 AM »
Indeed, Operative lm has made those pictures. I think i got the script somewhere... Ill send it soon if i find it.

The most hated person on the internet.