Author Topic: City of the Sun - Turok DH Map  (Read 5277 times)

Offline Dinosoid

• Dimetrodon
  • T:REP 1143
Re: City of the Sun - Turok DH Map
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2017, 02:56:05 PM »
I apologies people, but im not gonna work on this map anymore. Once gain sorry

Offline Gazer

• Endtrail
  • T:REP 574
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2017, 03:49:09 PM »
Hey Dinosiod - Hi - I'm a quitter too -  :P

I think the editor is a bit of a pain in the arse and needs some more attention. And if we could get a bit of a community going here, we could make some cool levels. Duke64 and Smoke39 are well into the heart of the matter and I am willing to assist where I can as well. With the Turok 2 coming out I bet we get some new people interested as well with multiplayer deathmatch an new option for mappers. That should be a big help to get new mappers for Kex and that in turn will help work out the wrinkles in Kex. After that first level I made, I don't want to torture myself with Kex either, but really - I enjoy the struggle of seeing my ideas in the game. Even if they are built on limited resources and seem like they are un-original. Gotta learn to crawl before I can walk and then run!

So just put it on the back burner and explore other ideas, which may or may not be related to what you already have built. It's funny that what seems unrelated ideas may in fact have relevance to one another. Main thing is to have fun with it. If it's not fun move on to another idea. Try something else. I wanted to give up on the hizouse more than once. I have a couple other .maps that are just random ideas. And Kex is a biotch. PM me if you have questions or need help with something or just post questions in the mapping and modding forum. Duke and Smoke helped me a lot. And I found a bug in Kex that Nightdive had to fix.

So you see it's a journey. The road less traveled. Turok 2 says they have an updated kex v3.4 so we'll see if they post that update for us.
GoodLuck - HaveFun - GoodGame - Gazer
No Ciggi

Offline Duke64

• Administrator
  • T:REP 6715
  • Sixty Four
    • Duke64Nukem.com
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2017, 04:49:20 PM »
Ohhh but the pics look good it looks different like something I want to try because the way you had the buildings layed reminds me of a Duke 3D map I made before. Just the layout like a city reminds me of Duke lol, of course its very Turok looking here. Its alright if you don't but I won't let you without a little encouragement here. If you guys need help I am always tying to help. Its just that things have been very busy right now. I hope this level can see the day of light one day. You already done more than a lot of people could say. Its okay if you don't but I hope you do. Take it easy.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 08:31:20 PM by Duke64 »
Dinosaur Hunter
"Its time to make tracks"
"You are tiny grasshopper"
"Suck it down"
"Boo, No soup for you"
"Arrrgghhhh"
"I live again"

Online Badger

• Endtrail
  • T:REP 627
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2017, 12:02:04 AM »
I'm sorry to hear that :(

I might be able to salvage and finish it for you. It's such a good concept and there's few maps released as it is. PM me if you're interested.

Offline Dinomite

• Chronoscepter
  • T:REP 7827
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2017, 01:18:49 PM »
Man, shit i was hoping forward to the map. Oh well. Can you share whats already made at least? And its true, the editor is shitty and is a pain.

The most hated person on the internet.

Offline Duke64

• Administrator
  • T:REP 6715
  • Sixty Four
    • Duke64Nukem.com
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2017, 01:38:10 AM »
Man, shit i was hoping forward to the map. Oh well. Can you share whats already made at least? And its true, the editor is shitty and is a pain.

The editor itself is okay its actually how Turok maps must be done that is the pain its how the game is made. Its a weird generation between models and sector based maps. If you used Duke 3d or a Doom editor before sectors are just fun :D If you think about it Doom or Duke can't travel beyond non sectors unless you use noclip or idclip. Its just how the game is the editor is really good for what we're working with.
Dinosaur Hunter
"Its time to make tracks"
"You are tiny grasshopper"
"Suck it down"
"Boo, No soup for you"
"Arrrgghhhh"
"I live again"

Offline Smoke39

• Endtrail
  • T:REP 598
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2017, 02:42:34 AM »
the editor is really good for what we're working with.

It really isn't.  The interface is full of issues that make it a pain to work with.  Even with the way levels are structured in Turok, the workflow could be a lot better.  It's functional, but not very polished.

Offline Gazer

• Endtrail
  • T:REP 574
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2017, 04:20:53 AM »
Problem is I'm just a gamer, and not very skilled in the basics. If I was I bet I could configure radiant with turok assets. But hell it is what it is. And whomever set this thing up has sort of built a customized editor that probably works better than radiant, I'm just too much of a nub/haxor to know it.

In the right hands the editor works good. Hey Kaiser added an Insane set of mods to steam workshop tonight. It's called 'Turok Second Chance' and it's got a lot of meat on the bones. I assume it's Kaiser, it's from BehemothProgrammer. Here we go!

Hang in there - Gazer

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=842733457
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 04:31:56 AM by Gazer »
No Ciggi

Offline Dinosoid

• Dimetrodon
  • T:REP 1143
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2017, 02:09:53 PM »
Huh, you guys really were expecting the map..... Well than I'll continue with this project. But I got to say Nav-Meshing is a pain. So far I understand Player & Npc placement

Offline Dinomite

• Chronoscepter
  • T:REP 7827
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2017, 04:34:46 PM »
Good to hear!

The most hated person on the internet.