Author Topic: N64UNPAK Tool ?  (Read 15764 times)

Offline Dinomite

• Chronoscepter
  • T:REP 9114
    • View Profile
Re: N64UNPAK Tool ?
« Reply #50 on: July 28, 2019, 06:17:13 AM »
Universal has the rights. End of story.

The most hated person on the internet.

Offline MecaCool

• Raptor
  • T:REP 435
  • Trying to be as Humble as I can be to Others.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2019, 10:35:48 AM »
I am not sure if they have the rights. I actually don't know the rights situation very well and I'll ask around, but I think they were given license to remaster T1 and T2, but nothing else.

I think its still worth working on this tool, cause we don't know if we'll get a port if ever, and at the very least, tools like this can help us recreate parts of the game or reuse its materials for other projects.

Awesome work you've done here, a lot of my respect man.

Project is back online I will finish it.

Thanks, I am keeping this project going I will finish it you all want this tool more than the other pseudo-code thing I was going to do.
A c++ and c Programmer.

Offline Dinomite

• Chronoscepter
  • T:REP 9114
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 30, 2019, 05:27:32 AM »
 :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:
I am not sure if they have the rights. I actually don't know the rights situation very well and I'll ask around, but I think they were given license to remaster T1 and T2, but nothing else.

I think its still worth working on this tool, cause we don't know if we'll get a port if ever, and at the very least, tools like this can help us recreate parts of the game or reuse its materials for other projects.

Awesome work you've done here, a lot of my respect man.

Project is back online I will finish it.

Thanks, I am keeping this project going I will finish it you all want this tool more than the other pseudo-code thing I was going to do.
:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 05:27:44 AM by Dinomite »

The most hated person on the internet.

Offline Drahsid

• Dimetrodon
  • T:REP 936
  • That I be considered worthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 28, 2019, 01:09:05 PM »
I don't want to be negative or disrupt anyone's hope, but based on what you write I can't help but be skeptical.

What I mean:
...I just got done adding support for the following rom's and file extensions with the tool "N64UNPAK Tool"
Atari 7800
Atari Jaguar
Capcom Play System 1
Capcom Play System 2
GameBoy Advance
GameBoy Color
M.A.M.E
Nintendo 64...
Why does N64UNPAK Tool need to handle formats for other, and vastly different hardware?

...an extractor tool to Dump all the contents from a ".n64 Rom" or N64 File if you want to call it that...

I'd quote all of them if I were mean, but anyone who's worked with N64 games in this sense knows that the rom format which you would use is .z64.

So, in other words a universal "N64 Rom Extractor"...

This is kinda vague and ambiguous if it makes any sense, and in such a case there are some tools that already fulfill such a purpose.
In the more likely case; that it does not make any sense: N64 roms don't have a real filesystem that you can extract, in an overwhelming most cases, it is literally just read-only-memory. Unless you're trying to extract particular things (chances are there is a tool for most of these particular things, especially textures), the rom itself is already the extracted data. Is this Rom Extracter tool supposed to be some sort of hub for other tools instead?

I found out that each n64 rom holds these file types "png , wav , map, exe, dll , cfg" So these files can be extracted from the roms easily.
I've also got done the  classes for open read write so next is to do some classes for opening pacific file extensions
Then, make some read and write classes for pacific file extensions.

• PNG images are very unlikely to be in an N64, especially considering how little memory it had for textures. Not to consider how new and unlikely PNG was.
  • While Irix did have some features to support dos-like things, the N64 does not have embedded executable files, nor libraries. This is a pretty crazy thing to assert; the source just became code when they were compiled.
  • cfg file on rom?

But, A question for anybody that can answer it which model file extensions was used for n64 games. Like did shadow-man n64 use 3d models or sprite-batches
In this time, there wasn't really much of a standard for model formats. This stuff was new. The model format differs per-game pretty regularly. Mayhaps you could reference the graphics microcode used for a particular game and make some guesses from there. The RDP is more complicated than the fully-fledged Reality Engine from the hardware that many games were developed on. It is more complicated than some ancient and archaic opengl.

If you've got something to show, I'd love to see it in action, say an alpha or something; maybe make it open source. Though it really seems that you made a promise to make software that you fundamentally do not understand. If that's the case, don't fret, it's alright; if you're really interested in it, take a step back, do some research, read many documents, ask questions, and return to the project when you have a clear idea for what you want to make.
Well that didn't work

Offline MecaCool

• Raptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2020, 10:02:23 AM »
I don't want to be negative or disrupt anyone's hope, but based on what you write I can't help but be skeptical.

What I mean:
...I just got done adding support for the following rom's and file extensions with the tool "N64UNPAK Tool"
Atari 7800
Atari Jaguar
Capcom Play System 1
Capcom Play System 2
GameBoy Advance
GameBoy Color
M.A.M.E
Nintendo 64...
Why does N64UNPAK Tool need to handle formats for other, and vastly different hardware?

...an extractor tool to Dump all the contents from a ".n64 Rom" or N64 File if you want to call it that...

I'd quote all of them if I were mean, but anyone who's worked with N64 games in this sense knows that the rom format which you would use is .z64.

So, in other words a universal "N64 Rom Extractor"...

This is kinda vague and ambiguous if it makes any sense, and in such a case there are some tools that already fulfill such a purpose.
In the more likely case; that it does not make any sense: N64 roms don't have a real filesystem that you can extract, in an overwhelming most cases, it is literally just read-only-memory. Unless you're trying to extract particular things (chances are there is a tool for most of these particular things, especially textures), the rom itself is already the extracted data. Is this Rom Extracter tool supposed to be some sort of hub for other tools instead?

I found out that each n64 rom holds these file types "png , wav , map, exe, dll , cfg" So these files can be extracted from the roms easily.
I've also got done the  classes for open read write so next is to do some classes for opening pacific file extensions
Then, make some read and write classes for pacific file extensions.

• PNG images are very unlikely to be in an N64, especially considering how little memory it had for textures. Not to consider how new and unlikely PNG was.
  • While Irix did have some features to support dos-like things, the N64 does not have embedded executable files, nor libraries. This is a pretty crazy thing to assert; the source just became code when they were compiled.
  • cfg file on rom?

But, A question for anybody that can answer it which model file extensions was used for n64 games. Like did shadow-man n64 use 3d models or sprite-batches
In this time, there wasn't really much of a standard for model formats. This stuff was new. The model format differs per-game pretty regularly. Mayhaps you could reference the graphics microcode used for a particular game and make some guesses from there. The RDP is more complicated than the fully-fledged Reality Engine from the hardware that many games were developed on. It is more complicated than some ancient and archaic opengl.

If you've got something to show, I'd love to see it in action, say an alpha or something; maybe make it open source. Though it really seems that you made a promise to make software that you fundamentally do not understand. If that's the case, don't fret, it's alright; if you're really interested in it, take a step back, do some research, read many documents, ask questions, and return to the project when you have a clear idea for what you want to make.

Good, criticism yes I typed this, but I hoped these options would be supported, but as of now, Doing my homework I'm lucky to get this to dump files like images models and other files ext.
again I type on not clear of what my approach is taking to so again apologize for this.

And yes, you can do this that I just typed just now.
It was done for the doom 64 EX, where you need to run the WadGen.exe to dump the Iwad from the doom64 ROM.
So, I can dump these formats , like images other files ext. but that's it which is all the community gives a crap about anyway.
And, I've searched all over the internet and there are not any tools for dumping Turok 3 files I've searched for months before I decided to make one.
But, other n64 games use different internal headers so not every ROM is the same and one tool cant dump them all unless you make it supported.
A c++ and c Programmer.

Offline MecaCool

• Raptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2020, 05:44:25 PM »
I'm releasing the source code as soon as I get this done I'm trying my very best
I need this tool to extract the data from the rom somehow.
So, I can use that data in my port.

Stay Tuned For Source Code Link And Compiled Binaries
A c++ and c Programmer.

Offline DoomMarine23

• Raptor
  • T:REP 340
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2020, 09:25:40 PM »
Now this is getting exciting. Best of luck.

Offline MecaCool

• Raptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2020, 09:31:16 PM »
Update:
I scratched my old build and redone this to be easier to use and easier cleaner code to read and understand.
I've got the basics of the code done for this tool.
working hard and trying my very best to get this done.
Have a nice Day.
 :have a nice day:
A c++ and c Programmer.

Offline MecaCool

• Raptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2020, 01:52:18 PM »
Now this is getting exciting. Best of luck.

Update:
Author: MecaCool

What have I got done so far

1. Created a read ROM function to read the ROM buffer
2. Created an open ROM function to open the rom
3. Created a write model function to write the models to a directory from the rom

So far this is it had to do some studying this week and last week on this and had to balance work and IRL life stuff

Thanks for checking out my update
trying my very best to finish this.
A c++ and c Programmer.

Offline MecaCool

• Raptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 28, 2020, 08:25:00 PM »
 :turok:

For those that want to still keep up on my Turok 3 PC Port Progress go here. _> https://gamejolt.com/games/Turok3PCPORT/404459
Might not have much to show on here now but in about 6 months I should hopefully have the game up and running on the main menu
or Better. This takes time a port is not easy to do even harder where it is an n64 game you are porting to pc.
Your lucky to even have a pre-alpha in 6 or 8 months.

But due to my life being very busy with work and other IRL stuff My progress has been slow but very good so
far.

Listen you have a choice don't make a choice upon what other members or mods say or comment or post.
Remember that we all would love to see a port of Turok 3.
And I'm glad to try for this community or even deliver.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 12:04:01 AM by MecaCool »
A c++ and c Programmer.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal