Author Topic: Turok 2: Besieged Mod (FINISHED)  (Read 8897 times)

Offline Sharev

• Iguana
  • T:REP 63
    • View Profile
Turok 2: Besieged Mod (FINISHED)
« on: February 13, 2019, 10:40:04 PM »
After like a year of work on this thing, I've got a map pack ready to be shown off in Beta! It's incomplete currently, but it is fully playable and since I still intend on finishing it, why not make what I have available now?

TUROK 2: BESIEGED

"What is it?":
Take an early look at 4 (not counting the opening map) classically styled Single Player Turok 2 levels. Fight through a new Lost Land city environment that quickly takes you to stylistic reaches unseen in vanilla Turok 2, as you fight the remnants of the Primagen's forces. The levels are mostly intended to focus on resource gathering/preservation and skill against small groups of enemies
rather than fighting massive hordes or key gathering- you'll explore, but you're not likely to get too lost or stuck.
While there's only 4 maps, I intend on making a final one that's unlocked after you finish the other levels in the final build- that's still a ways off though, so for now it's just the 4.

This mod is still in production; I'll be updating the levels as I finish making them- currently 4 of the 5 main maps are accessible. The last map is intended to be possibly more experimental in nature, but it hasn't even been started yet so we'll see.

City Map        -- 95% Done
Hive Map       -- 50% Done
Oblivion Map -- 80% Done
Marsh Map    -- 30% Done
Final Map      -- 01% Done

THE STORY:
Following a period of peace after the defeat of the Primagen and his forces, Joshua must once again defend the people of the Lost Land as he fights back against a sudden and surprising attack from the survivors of the Primagen's armies. Venture through 5 maps seeking to capture the feeling of the original game while streamlining the gameplay and keeping a brisk pace, while also presenting new and exciting combinations of enemies in settings familiar yet new.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/turok-2-besieged

Disclaimers and Stuff:

This map pack is clearly unfinished- most maps currently just end about halfway because I obviously haven't finished them or fully fleshed them out, but before then you'll get a fairly decent chunk of content so if you're interested in playing through some singleplayer content and don't mind it being a bit rough currently, you'll probably have a decent time.
(Also I'm aware I misspelled 'besieged' a bunch of times in throughout this project and the Read Me, please be merciful)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 03:34:10 AM by Sharev »

Offline Duke64

• Administrator
  • T:REP 6523
  • Sixty Four
    • View Profile
    • Duke64Nukem.com
Re: Turok 2: Besieged Mod (WIP)
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 12:33:07 AM »
This looks promising, I'd rather play when levels are completed but nice work keep it up.
 :raptoid:
Dinosaur Hunter
"Its time to make tracks"
"You are tiny grasshopper"
"Suck it down"
"Boo, No soup for you"
"Arrrgghhhh"
"I live again"

Offline Sharev

• Iguana
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2019, 04:14:53 PM »
Thanks! I look forward to seeing how this turns out as well lol since it's always changing as I work on it. It's still likely months from being 'finished' just because progress on it tends to be very slow and incremental, but I think it's nice to get some community feedback as I design the rest and also to just put something out there, rather than sitting on 20-30 minutes of playable maps that never go anywhere because it's not totally done, or the project loses steam. At least this way I'm also obligated to finish it now that others have seen it haha

Offline Duke64

• Administrator
  • Sixty Four
    • View Profile
    • Duke64Nukem.com
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2019, 12:22:44 AM »
Well no pressure. I'm a fan of keeping things 'vanilla' though, its reminiscent. Keep it up.

I know that thought, I have so much stuff that has been buried due to not saying anything lol. Good luck.
Dinosaur Hunter
"Suck it down"
"Boo, No soup for you"
"Arrrgghhhh"
"I live again"

Offline Badger

• Endtrail
  • T:REP 772
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2019, 06:26:14 PM »

Offline Duke64

• Administrator
  • Sixty Four
    • View Profile
    • Duke64Nukem.com
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2019, 01:41:57 PM »
I played just a little of this because I got bored. Really glad its just not another boring re-texture. Keep up the good work on this one. Has huge potential.
Dinosaur Hunter
"Suck it down"
"Boo, No soup for you"
"Arrrgghhhh"
"I live again"

Offline Sharev

• Iguana
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2019, 12:37:34 AM »
Hey everyone! After an extended break to work on my unrelated Unity game, I've returned to and gotten pretty close to finishing this map collection. In addition to just making more content for most of the maps, I've linked the secondary levels (since the City acts as a hub of sorts) so now there's a hidden teleport between Hive <--> Oblivion, and Oblivion <--> Marsh that's all in new areas. How badly it breaks the flow and balancing of the maps... ehhhh, but it opens up the map exploration more so worst-case scenario the player can just choose to go the originally designed route rather than being sent into an alternate back path. I'll be adding another one for Hive <--> Marsh as well, though imo the Hive <--> Oblivion warp is the only one that really justifies itself for now in terms of having an actual 'new unique side path'.

Currently the status of the maps are:
City Map        -- 98% Done   (Only because I need to make an eventual link to the Final Map that's locked by keys/pickups)
Hive Map       -- 90% Done   (One hallway left to finish and a teleporter to connect left)
Oblivion Map -- 99% Done   (Done by my considerations outside of maybe further polish)
Marsh Map    -- 75% Done   (Currently working on)
Final Map      -- 01% Done   (Likely shelved for now since it's only basically started)

Additionally to be 100% honest, I have no actual concepts or ideas for the Final Map other than it being a gate for 'Did you collect the keys in each map' (which don't even exist currently). It's only been started in the most simplistic of ways, so it's not too big a loss for now. While I'm still going to include it as a placeholder for future development in my next release (since it's only a few kb in size and is already incorporated/setup in the 'defs' files), it likely won't be playable for a while, because I need to figure out a system for picking up keys at the end of each level which is doable (Fossil Caverns did it, but there's some objective setup I need to look into first).

Edit: Also, thanks Badger for making the Turok Sanctum page!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 12:43:44 AM by Sharev »

Offline Badger

• Endtrail
  • T:REP 772
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2019, 01:29:34 PM »
I was overjoyed seeing you go into Turok 2 on steam yesterday :D

Can't wait to play this again and finish it, the areas are very creative!

Offline Sharev

• Iguana
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2019, 03:23:46 AM »
I've made some decent progress on the levels! Currently I'm trying to fix the missing skies using BP's Unity tools, as well as finish the last stretch of the jungle map. I may end up splitting said map into 2 files/.map to reduce obj load since it feels like it's slowing down a bit with all the foliage and shadows, but that's more of a technical detail rather than making it an entirely different 'level' like the rest of the maps have been. I'll probably make it a pathway warp/load rather than using a teleporter if I do, so as to not confuse the player. Like the waterway passage in Port of Adia.

The Hive map is now done short of linking the last teleporter! I've also set aside a spot for the 'Finale entrance zone' in the hub map even though it likely won't be accessible in the upcoming release; I'm planning on moving work on the Finale map to a kind of Director's Cut after these main maps are done and out, since I always planned to try something different with the creation process of it (namely not building a level from start to finish in the T2 kexeditor), and I still have only the faintest of conceptual ideas for it. Using the Primagen's Ship models and textures would be the obvious route, but I'm not sure I want to go in that direction. This'll allow me to go back over and revise the maps too once I have more feedback and a better idea of where I'm going with it all, since it's intended to be a short adventure set between 2 and 3 (but obviously being closer to 2).

Also worth noting; I managed to re-add the Compsognathus and Lord of the Dead (not the be confused with the previously utilized Lord of Death), which were left out of the earlier published version of these maps since I'd missed adding them on my first pass of fixing the defs/enemies script.

Thanks for your patience and excitement for this project! I've really enjoyed making these maps, and I look forward to hopefully putting out something special soon. I'll upload a couple screenshots soon to the Turok discord since I'm running into errors posting them here.

Offline Sharev

• Iguana
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2019, 05:50:33 PM »
Another couple weeks have passed and I have more progress to update with!

All maps except the Final Map are done now. The last map is properly gated so you have to collect the nuke pieces before being able to blow your way past the gate (only the nuke works, assuming I have enough counter-measures set up for the average player), and I've found a couple ways to make the last level weirder than the rest have been in terms of fitting map pieces together and playing with sight-lines, rotation, and non-textured sides. I'm roughly halfway done with the last map, so finishing it and uploading it all should be happening pretty soon.

Maybe another week or two depending on how much I can get done?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal