Author Topic: << Turok 3 Shadow of Oblivion >> PC PORT In Development  (Read 16150 times)

Offline Drahsid

• Dimetrodon
  • T:REP 936
  • That I be considered worthy
    • View Profile
Re: << Turok 3 Shadow of Oblivion >> PC PORT In Development
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2020, 04:27:58 PM »
You might find it to be cleaner to edit and update your prior posts

for example

Edit (2/6/2020): Done with 123 lines of code.
Well that didn't work

Offline MecaCool

• Raptor
  • T:REP 435
  • Trying to be as Humble as I can be to Others.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2020, 09:32:48 AM »
You might find it to be cleaner to edit and update your prior posts

for example

Edit (2/6/2020): Done with 123 lines of code.

I've updated my posts next update will be in 3 weeks or so
thanks for the heads up.
A c++ and c Programmer.

Offline MecaCool

• Raptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2020, 10:20:42 PM »
Update: I've been thinking about just making a mod for Turok 3 which has all the pc features that a pc port has that way I don't have to
deal with copyright issues because I would have to release the "ROM" with my pc port and that's illegal so this will be awesome for Turok 3.
What you know and love in pc ports you will have it all.
I'm studying DirectX to have a good point of view On what features pc ports have and how to achieve them and see its code for good references.

I hope there are some of you all that would love this.
Because I truly believe that night dev might make one in the future
I mean they have already ported the 1st and 2nd in the franchise so why not the 3rd and 4th down the road.
A c++ and c Programmer.

Offline DoomMarine23

• Raptor
  • T:REP 340
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2020, 10:35:48 PM »
Update: I've been thinking about just making a mod for Turok 3 which has all the pc features that a pc port has that way I don't have to
deal with copyright issues because I would have to release the "ROM" with my pc port and that's illegal so this will be awesome for Turok 3.
I'm studying DirectX to have a good point of view On what features pc ports have and how to achieve them and see its code for good references.

I mean they have already ported the 1st and 2nd in the franchise so why not the 3rd and 4th down the road.

No, you wouldn't have to release the ROM with your port at all. Kaiser created an extractor to extract the contents from the Doom 64 ROM for example.

Offline MecaCool

• Raptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2020, 07:24:06 PM »

No, you wouldn't have to release the ROM with your port at all. Kaiser created an extractor to extract the contents from the Doom 64 ROM for example.

I can create a ROM dump tool that I have some source code from another friend of mine showed me but let me explain some things.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm about to open up and lay down some things that are important.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
First making a port of Turok 3 would need to consist of dumping the contents from the rom to avoid some copyright issues.
2nd would need to make an engine or use the Turok 2s engine to load and read and write from the game's data.
which would take oneself over 6 months to do if its a custom engine any decent coder would fall in this category.
using Turok 2 engine time to port the game data for about 2 months.
I'm not a god coder I'm okay which is what I'm going to say.
and that's not all it would take to do this.
But here is where I'm getting upset from
If night dev was or is making a port of Turok 3 then do you all really think that everybody that is a fan of the Turok games
going to play my build or night devs build that's not hard to say, they will play night devs and will buy it as well.
My work will be for nothing and would be a waste of my time.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I really want to do this port so bad but I can't see myself doing this port
when night dev will make one or might make one and see all my hard work go down the drain.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is really irritating me, to be honest, I did not want to upset anyone.
gosh, I just want to make this damn port.  :TT TT:
A c++ and c Programmer.

Offline Drahsid

• Dimetrodon
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2020, 07:31:54 PM »
2nd would need to make an engine or use the Turok 2s engine to load and read and write from the game's data.
which would take oneself over 6 months to do if its a custom engine any decent coder would fall in this category.

I don't quite follow this. Are you talking about CEngine or Kex?
If you get your hands on Kex that means I can probably get Kex, in which case I would probably port Turok 3 or RW to it.  :turok:

when night dev will make one or might make one and see all my hard work go down the drain.

Solution: Get hired by Night Dive to work on their potential port of Turok 3. Show them your work and convince them that you are the guy to hire for that project.
Well that didn't work

Offline MecaCool

• Raptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2020, 08:34:48 PM »

I don't quite follow this. Are you talking about CEngine or Kex?
If you get your hands on Kex that means I can probably get Kex, in which case I would probably port Turok 3 or RW to it.  :turok:

Solution: Get hired by Night Dive to work on their potential port of Turok 3. Show them your work and convince them that you are the guy to hire for that project.

Yes I'm talking about the CEngine, not KEX

And, the thing is night dev will not hire me.
facts are facts.

So this is just a decision I will have to make on my own.
A c++ and c Programmer.

Offline DoomMarine23

• Raptor
  • T:REP 340
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2020, 10:43:48 PM »
Going to be realistic here.

Unless Nightdive Studios releases a Turok 3 or Rage Wars port, our most realistic option is as follows:

1. Develop Blender plugins for NDS Turok 2 so we can import/export skinnedmeshes and animations, lifting our huge barrier to modding.

2. Extract or rip the assets from the roms of Turok 3 and Rage Wars. Using either a custom made tool, or literally brute force 3D ripping which will be messy and lose animation data.

3. Get the Turok 3 and Rage Wars models into Blender, which is going to either require 3D ripping as said above, or by making a proper Blender plugin. This should not be too difficult, as both games likely share a very similar model format as Turok 2's.

4. Start building the two games in Turok 2 EX.

Even if they do release their port, this means we still made valuable tools along the way for NDS Turok 2, as well as the N64 versions of Rage Wars and Turok 3.

Is this the ideal solution? No. But look how well Turok 3's first level plays in Turok 2 Co-Op, and it was simply added as a bonus feature. Now imagine that with more time put into it, and proper tools to allow to import/export the models and animations from Turok 3.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 10:45:00 PM by DoomMarine23 »

Offline MecaCool

• Raptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2020, 11:10:44 PM »
Going to be realistic here.

Unless Nightdive Studios releases a Turok 3 or Rage Wars port, our most realistic option is as follows:

1. Develop Blender plugins for NDS Turok 2 so we can import/export skinnedmeshes and animations, lifting our huge barrier to modding.

2. Extract or rip the assets from the roms of Turok 3 and Rage Wars. Using either a custom made tool, or literally brute force 3D ripping which will be messy and lose animation data.

3. Get the Turok 3 and Rage Wars models into Blender, which is going to either require 3D ripping as said above, or by making a proper Blender plugin. This should not be too difficult, as both games likely share a very similar model format as Turok 2's.

4. Start building the two games in Turok 2 EX.

Even if they do release their port, this means we still made valuable tools along the way for NDS Turok 2, as well as the N64 versions of Rage Wars and Turok 3.

Is this the ideal solution? No. But look how well Turok 3's first level plays in Turok 2 Co-Op, and it was simply added as a bonus feature. Now imagine that with more time put into it, and proper tools to allow to import/export the models and animations from Turok 3.

Alright, I will finish the n64unpack tool but that's as much as I am doing.
that seems more realistic than a port at the moment.
A c++ and c Programmer.

Offline Drahsid

• Dimetrodon
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2020, 11:36:10 PM »
Yes I'm talking about the CEngine, not KEX

Turok 2 uses CEngine. Turok 3 uses CEngine. There are big updates to it from 2->3, but I don't see  why you would backport it? The levels would be incompatible.

And, the thing is night dev will not hire me.
facts are facts.

Provide evidence for your claim?
They hired Kaiser because he was doing the same with his EX games. If you have results, I am sure that ND would be excited to have you on their team.
Well that didn't work

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal